• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How loose or sloppy should 727 linkage be?

mrmolding

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:20 PM
Reaction score
Kind of a noob to 727 shifter and kickdown linkage. Going through reconnecting my 70 RR steering column and column shifter I noticed that a lot of my linkage is loose where they meet at joints. When hooked up, I can kind of bounce each joint a bit. I’ve been staring at manuals and posts but can’t seem to find too much info. I know my car has a 68 440 stamp so it’s not original to the car. Just wondering if this is acceptable? Thanks!

1520CE50-4E7D-452D-BE0C-200E6954C0F4.jpeg

Mine are kinda sloppy as well.
I think the washer goes on top there below the clip.

Mine are kinda sloppy as well.
I think the washer goes on top there below the clip.
Thanks! In the pic the trans shifter from column just lifts up and down even when all hooked up. I guess I’ll accept it. Thanks again!

It' very important that at the shift lever on the trans that the linkage makes a very firm connection. The shift lever into the trans must be tight in the correct position.

Shim the linkage at the selector lever with a flat washer in addition to the spring washer you already have. those spring washers need a flat surface on each side of them to work correctly.
Mike

Thanks! Makes sense!

I guess there needs to be some flex in the linkage for motor / tranny movement.

Kind of a noob to 727 shifter and kickdown linkage. Going through reconnecting my 70 RR steering column and column shifter I noticed that a lot of my linkage is loose where they meet at joints. When hooked up, I can kind of bounce each joint a bit. I’ve been staring at manuals and posts but can’t seem to find too much info. I know my car has a 68 440 stamp so it’s not original to the car. Just wondering if this is acceptable? Thanks!

View attachment 1293862

hi, do you happen to have any pics showing were the top lever in your picture goes. any other pics pf linkage assembly would be great. thanks

hi, do you happen to have any pics showing were the top lever in your picture goes. any other pics pf linkage assembly would be great. thanks
I’m good to go. I bought a bunch of bushings and clips and did it as close to the service manual as parts allowed.

Last edited:
Ok. I took these when I got done. Not sure if this helps.

957487F7-014C-4907-AFA7-7FECDF0EDD9A.jpeg

086F35C3-15C4-4ACD-8DFA-86F293FEE2A6.jpeg

1563B1F5-85B6-429B-AC51-21C66DDFD503.jpeg

3CFA96BD-5AE9-4178-A65E-96D7E150251B.jpeg

I’m not too impressed by the black clip but it’s stock. We shall see over time how well it stays put.

I looked in old photos and don't have anything right away. All of the pics from when I got the car were using wrong clips and nothing looked correct. So, I don't want to share that. I only took a pic of the bottom after I finished everything. But here is a pic from the 70 Plymouth Service manual. When I looked into this, I originally thought that the setups were similar. But looking on mega parts and ams obsolete, they seem to have different linkage setups for 383 4bbl & 2bbl, 440bbl, etc. I'd double check your application. My setup seems to be half of a 67 440 on the bottom and 383 from the carb down -- my tranny is from a 67 with a 440 but the car is a 70 RR with a 383. No idea which previous owner made the switch. I'd recommend looking on eBay and different vendors to see what is in their for-sale items and figure out what you need. But, the diagrams from the service manuals on mymopar.com are great.

Screenshot 2023-01-03 112633.png

Last edited:
I just thought of something -- I was able to get everything that I could not find from brewersperformance.com six months ago when I did this. They are great to deal with and should be able to give you what you need. They have lots of auto tranny parts even though they advertise as a 4-speed vendor. There are two types of the round spring clips that are similar the 4 speed linkage clips. One is thicker like on the 4 speed, but one is thinner -- I used one in one of my after photos above -- got it from brewers. I got the black clip from someone on eBay -- but I bought it as an OEM used linkage setup.

Last edited:
i am going to the mecum auction on saturday as a spectator. maybe i can find a nice original 70 charger/roadrunner that i can get some pictures. thanks for your help

i am going to the mecum auction on saturday as a spectator. maybe i can find a nice original 70 charger/roadrunner that i can get some pictures. thanks for your help
Sounds like fun! Enjoy!

You can weld the hole in the bracket and re-drill it to the correct size, or (what I did) weld a washer on both sides of the linkage flat section to create a nicely tight and centered hole.
Only the spring clip need to open up a little more to overcome the additional thickness.
Mine went from sloppy to snug after this.

Auto Transport Service
Back