• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many of these men do you remember..

1 Wild R/T

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:11 AM
Reaction score
DO YOU REMEMBER THESE MEN?

I can only send this to people of our generation, since most of today’s people don't have any idea who these men were, and that's a pity. They were all heroes in their own right and they made America great in it's own right!

Alan Hale Jr. - US Coast Guard.
Aldo Ray - US Navy. UDT frogman - Okinawa.
Art Carney - US Army. Wounded on Normandy beach- D-Day. Limped for the rest of his life.
Brian Keith - US Marines. Radioman/Gunner in Dauntless dive-bombers.
Buddy Hackett - US Army anti-aircraft gunner.
Burgess Meredith - US Army Air Corps.
Clark Gable - US Army Air Corps. B-17 gunner over Europe.
Cesar Romero - US Coast Guard. Coast Guard.
Participated in the invasions of Tinian and Saipan on the assault transport USS Cavalier.
Charles Bronson - US Army Air Corps. B-29 gunner- wounded in action.
Charles Durning - US Army. Landed at Normandy on D-Day.
Shot multiple times awarded the silver & Bronze & 3 Purple Hearts. Survived Malmedy Massacre.
Charlton Heston - US Army Air Corps. Radio operator and aerial gunner on a B-25- Aleutians
Chuck Connors - US Army. Tank-warfare instructor.
Claude Akins - US Army. Signal Corps. - Burma and the Philippines.
Clifton James - US Army- South Pacific. Was awarded the Silver Star -Bronze Star and Purple Heart.
Dale Robertson - US Army. Tank Commander in North Africa under Patton.
Wounded twice. Battlefield Commission.
Danny Aiello - US Army. Lied about his age to enlist at 16. Served three years.
DeForest Kelley - US Army Air Corps.
Dennis Weaver - US Navy. Pilot.
Denver Pyle - US Navy. Wounded in the Battle of Guadalcanal . Medically discharged.
Don Adams - US Marines. Wounded on Guadalcanal - then served as a Drill Instructor.
Don Knotts - US Army- Pacific Theater.
Don Rickles - US Navy aboard USS Cyrene.
Earl Holliman - US Navy. Lied about his age to enlist. Dischargedafter a year when the Navy found out.
Ed McMahon - US Marines. Fighter Pilot. (Flew OE-1 Bird Dogs over Korea as well.)
Eddie Albert - US Coast Guard. Bronze Star with Combat V for saving several Marines
under heavy fire as pilot of a landing craft during the invasion of Tarawa.
Efram Zimbalist Jr. - US Army. Purple Heart for a severe wound received at Huertgen Forest .
Ernest Borgnine - US Navy. Gunners Mate 1c- destroyer USS Lamberton.
10 years active duty. Discharged 1941- re-enlisted after Pearl Harbor.
Fess Parker - US Navy and US Marines. Booted from pilot training for being too tall-
joined Marines as a radio operator.
Forrest Tucker - US Army. Enlisted as a private- rose to Lieutenant.
Frank Sutton - US Army. Took part in 14 assault landings- including Leyte- Luzon- Bataan and Corregidor.
Fred Gwynne - US Navy. Radioman.
Gene Autry - US Army Air Corps. Crewman on transports that ferried supplies over
"The Hump" in the China- Burma-India Theater.
George Gobel - Army Air Corps, taught fighter pilots JohnnyCarson made a big deal about
it once on the Tonight Show, to which George said "the [censored] didn't get past us.
George Kennedy - US Army. Enlisted after Pearl Harbor - stayed in sixteen years.
Harry Carey Jr - US Navy.
Harry Dean Stanton - US Navy. Served aboard an LST in the Battle of Okinawa.
Harvey Korman - US Navy.
Henry Fonda - US Navy. Destroyer USS Satterlee.
Hugh O'Brian - US Marines.
Jack Klugman - US Army.
Jack Palance - US Army Air Corps. Severely injured bailing out of a burning B-24 bomber.
Jack Warden - US Navy- 1938-1942- then US Army- 1942-1945. 101st Airborne Division.
JackieCoogan - US Army Air Corps. Volunteered for gliders and flew troops and materials into Burma behind enemy lines.
James Arness - US Army. As an infantryman- he was severely wounded at Anzio - Italy.
James Gregory - US Navy and US Marines.
James Stewart - US Army Air Corps. Bomber pilot who rose to the rank of General.
Jason Robards - US Navy. was aboard heavy cruiser USS Northampton when it was sunk off Guadalcanal .
Also served on the USS Nashville during the invasion of the Philippines -
surviving a kamikaze hit that caused 223 casualties.
John Carroll - US Army Air Corps. Pilot in North Africa. Broke his back in a crash.
John Wayne - Declared "4F medically unfit" due to pre-existing injuries- he nonetheless attempted
to volunteer three times (Army-Navy and Film Corps.) so he gets honorable mention.
Jonathan Winters - USMC. Battleship USS Wisconsin and Carrier USS Bon
Homme Richard. Anti-aircraft gunner- Battle of Okinawa.
Karl Malden - US Army Air Corps. 8th Air Force- NCO.
Kirk Douglas - US Navy. Sub-chaser in the Pacific. Wounded in action and medically discharged.
Larry Storch - US Navy. Sub tender USS Proteus with TonyCurtis.
Lee Marvin - US Marines. Sniper. Wounded in action on Saipan. Buried in Arlington. National Cemetery -
Sec. 7A next to Greg Boyington and Joe Louis.
Lee Van Cleef - US Navy. Served aboard a sub chaser then a mine sweeper.
Mel Brooks - US Army. Combat Engineer. Saw action in the Battle of the Bulge.
Mickey Rooney - US Army under Patton. Bronze Star.
Mickey Spillane - US Army Air Corps- Fighter Pilot and later Instructor Pilot.
Neville Brand - US Army- Europe . Was awarded the Silver Star and Purple Heart.
Norman Fell - US Army Air Corps.- Tail Gunner- Pacific Theater.
Pat Hingle - US Navy. Destroyer USS Marshall.
Paul Newman - US Navy Rear seat gunner/ radioman- torpedo bombers of USS Bunker Hill.
Peter Graves - US Army Air Corps.
Randolph Scott - Tried to enlist in the Marines but was rejected due to injuries sustained in US Army, World War I.
Robert Altman - US Army Air Corps. B-24 Co-Pilot.
Robert Mitchum - US Army. Robert Montgomery - US Navy.
Robert Preston - US Army Air Corps. Intelligence Officer.
Robert Ryan - US Marines.
Robert Stack - US Navy. Gunnery Officer.
Robert Taylor - US Navy. Instructor Pilot.
Rock Hudson - US Navy. Aircraft mechanic- the Philippines.
Rod Serling - US Army. 11th Airborne Division in the Pacific.
He jumped at Tagaytay in the Philippines and was later wounded in Manila.
Rod Steiger - US Navy. Was aboard one of the ships that launched the Doolittle Raid.
Ronald Reagan - US Army. Was a 2nd Lt. in the Cavalry Reserves before the war. His poor
eyesight kept him from being sent overseas with his unit when war came so he transferred
to the Army Air Corps Public Relations Unit where he served for the duration.
Russell Johnson - US Army Air Corps. B-24 crewman who was awarded Purple Heart when his aircraft
was shot down by the Japanese in the Philippines.
Soupy Sales - US Navy. Served on USS Randall in the South Pacific.
Sterling Hayden - US Marines and OSS. Smuggled guns into Yugoslavia and parachuted into Croatia. Silver Star.
Steve Forrest - US Army. Wounded- Battle of the Bulge.
Steve Reeves - US Army - Philippines.
Ted Knight - US Army- Combat Engineers.
Telly Savalas - US Army.
Tom Bosley - US Navy.
Tony Curtis - US Navy. Sub tender USS Proteus. In Tokyo Bay for the surrender of Japan.
Tyrone Power - US Marines. Transport pilot in the Pacific Theater.
Victor Mature - US Coast Guard.
Walter Matthau - US Army Air Corps.- B-24 Radioman/Gunner and cryptographer.
Wayne Morris - US Navy fighter pilot- USS Essex. Downed seven Japanese fighters.
Wiliam Holden - US Army Air Corps.
William Conrad - US Army Air Corps. Fighter Pilot.

And of course we have Audie Murphy, America's most-decorated soldier, who became a Hollywood star as a result of his US Army service that included his being awarded the Medal of Honor.
Would someone please remind me again how many of today's Hollywood elite, sports celebs and politicians put their careers on hold to enlist for service in Iraq or Afghanistan?

first off,thats an amazing list.
TY for sharing it.
but,as you well know,those men were Real men,
they didnt think about themselves much they just went to do what they thought was right for their country.
nowadays,everyone you mention is Only thinking about themselves.....

thinking,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,still thinking. I'll need to get back to you.

thinking,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,still thinking. I'll need to get back to you.

I'm guessing your younger than I am.... And thats fine, I kinda wish I didn't remember quite so many of these guys... LOL..

1, I'm 72 and remember most of those great people, what I was thinking about was stars and sports figures of today that would put there country first. still thinking.

1, I'm 72 and remember most of those great people, what I was thinking about was stars and sports figures of today that would put there country first. still thinking.

LOL Well in that case we're both gonna stain ourselves thinking to hard....

Ok, One.. Pat Tillman..

I remember most of the them. Many heroes back in those days that did the right thing and went n to entertain us later on. Now days it’s rare to see the patriotism displayed back in the day. Most of the heroes come from the average joe that sacrifices for us and our freedom.

God bless them all!

I remember a lot of those guys and yes most of Hollywood today would pee them selves if they had to serve Drew Carey served in Marines and about the only guy I can think of.

Only a few I don't recognise....and the first person I thought of when I saw the list was Lee Marvin. I am so pleased he is on the list.

I remember almost all of these guys. About 16 million Americans (about 13% of the population) served either voluntarily or as a result of the draft in WWII.

I remember most of them too. I enjoyed watching their movies, interviews, etc. What I find astonishing is that, back then, for the most part, our country was very patriotic compared to today. Makes you think.

I'm only 56 and I knew who most of them were, made me remember some great movies that I haven't seen in years. Thanks

I remember quite a few thanks for sharing. As for todays celebs if they wont back us please be in front of us!
MSGT (SW) USN/USAF retired

Awesome list! Thanks!

Today's movie stars of today couldn't handle serving their country because there is no app to show them what to do.....all pussies!

Thanks for sharing, that was amazing!! I knew all of them. The thing I noticed was, while I knew all the names, I had no idea about most of them having served in the service. Years ago it was simply the thing to do and then start your life after the service. I realize many were drafted, but they did their thing and moved on, no big deal. Today, these self serving little ******* in Hollywood make me sick. Most have zero talent, overbearing, over payed and have no respect for those who paid to make them rich. I do remember a time when I thought my dad didn't get it, maybe it's my time now and I don't get it!

I'm old enough to remember all of them !

Auto Transport Service
Back