• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many speakers did the 1970 charger have?

Dominic Torreto

Local time
10:05 AM
Reaction score
Such an easy question for those old schoolers that had these cars back in the day. On my charger I only found 2 speakers on the headrest by the rear windshield. Was that the only speakers on these cars stock? I have the 500 series dont know if that made a difference or not.

One speaker up front with the AM was stock. Unless you got radio-delete, then there were zero. You actually have two speakers in the stamped openings?

Mine is an R/T S.E. and has 5. 3 in the dash and two in the rear package tray.

Mine is an R/T S.E. and has 5. 3 in the dash and two in the rear package tray.
I would think having all 5 would be a rather rare option in the muscle car era?

I would think having all 5 would be a rather rare option in the muscle car era?
Yes, I think more on the rarer side. However, My other 70 Charger is a 500 S.E. It also has the 3 speaker dash as well.

I havent looked under the dash yet but mine has an 8 track player. Pretty sure the 8 track player was the best option.

I havent looked under the dash yet but mine has an 8 track player. Pretty sure the 8 track player was the best option.
I have the 8 track I'm mine also. Has had Van Halen 1 in it forever. Lol. You don't even have to look under your dash. If you have a 3 speaker dash, the outer two speaker grilles are visible through the windshield and screw on from the top side of the dash.

I am going to take pictures. If you could take pictures of your dash speaker grills I would appreciate it. I am wanting to keep the speaker locations stock as possible other than the detachable sub woofer in the trunk.
I have the 8 track I'm mine also. Has had Van Halen 1 in it forever. Lol. You don't even have to look under your dash. If you have a 3 speaker dash, the outer two speaker grilles are visible through the windshield and screw on from the top side of the dash

My 70 Sport Satellite had the R22 AM 8-track and had the 3 speaker front dash but only one speaker in the rear package tray. The other spot was occupied by the rear defrost. There was a device that split the sound under the dash.

Basically (4) speakers, (2) in the front for the stereo 8-track, (1) in the front for the AM radio, (1) in the rear for the AM radio....

Just my $0.02... ;)

I saw these cut out holes on the headrest board in the back? If someone could take a picture of theres and post it up on here I would highly appreciate it.

Depends on what radio package came in the car. R22 AM/ 8 Track would have 5(3 dash, 2 rear package tray)
Others would have 1 in the dash, depending on options.
5 would be the max from the factory.
My 69 RTSE has AM 8 Track with 5 originally,(mine has 6, since I added a double center speaker set up)the rear were under the rear package tray with slotted grills in the tray.

Depends on what radio package came in the car. R22 AM/ 8 Track would have 5(3 dash, 2 rear package tray)
Others would have 1 in the dash, depending on options.
5 would be the max from the factory.
My 69 RTSE has AM 8 Track with 5 originally,(mine has 6, since I added a double center speaker set up)the rear were under the rear package tray with slotted grills in the tray.
my 70 sport satellite had 3 in the front, and only the passenger side had a rear package tray factory speaker, due to the rear defrost feature which required the other cutout for the rear window defrost blower.

my 70 sport satellite had 3 in the front, and only the passenger side had a rear package tray factory speaker, due to the rear defrost feature which required the other cutout for the rear window defrost blower.
That’s one of the options that affects it.
I have seen 2 rear speakers with a defrost. It’s a special bracket.
I think there was one on the for sale area a few months ago.

That’s one of the options that affects it.
I have seen 2 rear speakers with a defrost. It’s a special bracket.
I think there was one on the for sale area a few months ago.
That is what I have under my speaker tray. 2 speakers and the offset bracket for the rear defogger.

Auto Transport Service
Back