• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many water pump housings are there for a BB?? What bracket to use?

Myasylum

Local time
10:28 AM
Reaction score
I have found at least 3. Not knowing any better, I just bought an aluminum one where the inlet is on the opposite side. I'm trying to make this one work (it's pretty), which I think I can. However, I don't know what alternator bracket to use? I have removed the air conditioning as well (just to make it extra complicated). The bracket I bought doesn't work for that housing. Can someone please direct me to the proper bracket for this housing?

I've been playing with the stock brackets with Air, and I believe I can "make" that work, but I'd rather have the correct bracket if possible.

May as well ask about the correct Power Steering bracket as well.

I have what appears to be a '73 - 400 engine.

Picture is the housing I have purchased, and the bracket that doesn't work.

Thanks!

cfv-black-chrysler-383-440-crate-hemi-aluminum-water-pump-housing-5.png

mancini-racing-alternator-mounting-triangle-78.gif

That bracket is the correct one. You also need the adjustment arm bracket, and proper spacers.

The housing looks to have both the early and late bracket attaching holes. The early bracket attached to the hole on the edge of the water neck. Your bracket is the later one that attaches to the next hole left of it. Your biggest PITA will be that inlet is on wrong side for your radiator. Try to find a '71-'72 rad.
Your alternator will bolt through the lower hole on left side of bracket. The higher hole is for taller RB engines.

Is, being "pretty", worth the hassle of trying to adapt it to function, with the all your required/wanted attachments? You could contact Glen-RAY radiators, and they could build you a functioning radiator, configured to suit your need, but at what cost? What was your objective in purchasing the pump housing in the first place.....being "pretty" will not increase its functionality in terms of higher flow rates or delivered pressures.....unless you are going to utilize a Flowkooler pump.
BOB RENTON

I have a radiator that has the hole on the Drivers side, so it does work out in that way. The previous owner had a tube that ran all the way to the drivers side.
I was half joking with the "pretty" comment. I already bought it, I'd like to see if I can make it work.
I thought that the correct bracket wound 't need all those spacers, but I guess that's not the case. Idk?!

I have a radiator that has the hole on the Drivers side, so it does work out in that way. The previous owner had a tube that ran all the way to the drivers side.
I was half joking with the "pretty" comment. I already bought it, I'd like to see if I can make it work.
I thought that the correct bracket wound 't need all those spacers, but I guess that's not the case. Idk?!
There is a spacer tube that fits between the two mounting ears of the alternator, then another one between the back of the rear ear and the cylinder head.

Last edited:
Perhaps, the "best" solution, would be post a FOR SALE listing for your "pretty" pump housing, and all the associated issues, and use what you presently have.....and leave the shoemaker-ing to someone else, and just enjoy your car.......as is.....just talking out loud...
BOB RENTON

It's the same bracket for both pumps.

You can take your rad in to a rad shop and get an outlet brazed on the other side.

If you need it in a different position.

Nothing wild, crazy, or undoable about any of this.

Your going to need the pulleys form a non a/c engine. The crank pulley will have two groves. One for the power steering, the other for the alternator and the pump. The non a/c water pump pulley gis also a different offset and larger to reduce pump speed.
440 source carries them.

I have purchased the pulleys. I am good there. :)
If you have your parts manual it will show you all parts needed to make it work. Also a picture of how each part is mounted. Good luck. Make sure you get the correct water pump pulley so you don't under drive or over drive your water pump. Don't know what your doing with your car are you street driving it or racing it. Pump pulley makes a big difference in keeping your engine temp safe.

Auto Transport Service
Back