• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much is a lot where you are from?

BigCountryMopar

Local time
12:04 PM
Reaction score
A couple of threads got me thinking. How much land/property is a lot where you are from? We own 77 acres in two pieces. Our house is on 5 acres and the farm property we purchased last year is 72 acres. We plan to sell and build at the farm in a few years. With my parent’s and grandmother’s place I care for 93 acres. Which is a pretty good bit. Only way it’d be better if it was all contiguous. But it got me to wondering, what’s considered a lot of acreage wherever y’all are from? I would consider our amount of land a pretty good bit. I know people who own a lot more, and I know people that own a great deal less. I’m just curious what it is like in other parts of the country and the world.

I live in the arctic, where you can’t buy land, as such. You can buy the lot that your house is on, but that’s it. A house lot costs around US$20,000.
I have land that I hunt on in Alberta, the province to the south of me. I have 160 acres of prime land and it’s worth around US$150,000.
Wife’s cousins in Saskatchewan have 17,000 acres (yes, seventeen thousand) acres of prairie but it’s not worth much because there’s no water.

I live in the arctic, where you can’t buy land, as such. You can buy the lot that your house is on, but that’s it. A house lot costs around US$20,000.
I have land that I hunt on in Alberta, the province to the south of me. I have 160 acres of prime land and it’s worth around US$150,000.
Wife’s cousins in Saskatchewan have 17,000 acres (yes, seventeen thousand) acres of prairie but it’s not worth much because there’s no water.

17,000 acres? Wow. No water? Is water well drilling a thing up there? But I’m sure the winters are brutal so having livestock would be difficult, but I could be wrong.

The people I work for just bought 67 acres of Wooded/Farmland to add to thier property so it's locked in by the roads that surround the estate. They paid 1.34 Million. This was a parcel bought from a larger land tract. It was originally estimated as a 60 acre parcel and when they went to settlement the survey showed it was 67 acres so they had to write a check for another $140,000..

Hell I need to move my land...

The 40 acres next door sold for $289K Cdn. (~ 220US) 3 years ago...... and my Son griped I was ripping him off when I sold him his 80 acres (27 of it is a class 3 wetland) below me for a $100K (he could make double that just by having a logger come in and cut the sawlog trees down.)

The people I work for just bought 67 acres of Wooded/Farmland to add to thier property so it's locked in by the roads that surround the estate. They paid 1.34 Million. This was a parcel bought from a larger land tract. It was originally estimated as a 60 acre parcel and when they went to settlement the survey showed it was 67 acres so they had to write a check for another $140,000..

Holy s**t, $20,000/acre? And I thought the $10,000/acre around here was bad!

I've got 86 right now with another 77 probably fairly soon.

Last edited:

I've got 86 right now with another 77 in process.

And I DON'T consider that to be a LOT. Here in Indiana a LOT would be more like 3 to 5 thousand acres. Out west, yeah, you're talking the 17,000 acre number mentioned above.

I've got 86 right now with another 77 probably fairly soon.

It's in a wealthy country area.... The school taxes alone are crazy more than most couples make in a year.. I think it's over 700 acres now.. Parts of it are from the Pew estate which was Sun oil now known as Sunoco...

Last edited:
I have 5 acres I bought 20 years ago for $17500, the property just north of me is 6 acres sold for $77000 . Most property around here is 160 acres and up. I know of several around Tulsa that are 1500 plus.

A "lot" where i'm from is 75'x150'. Worth more money if there isnt a wreck of a house on it.
Edit: my cousin has an acre of horse property up the hill a bit from my house. Worth about two mil.

Last edited:
And I DON'T consider that to be a LOT. Here in Indiana a LOT would be more like 3 to 5 thousand acres. Out west, yeah, you're talking the 17,000 acre number mentioned above.
My aunt and her husband in Tennessee farm around 4-5k acres. He owns a fair amount it and leases the rest.
Down here a thousand acres is a lot. Next to our farm is 222 acres of timberland for sale. It’s 2,700 an acre.

So not so much highly productive farm ground, but more based entirely on the location and surrounding wealthy homeowners?
No there is lots of farmland but also lots of wooded areas.. A local farmer rents the land and farms it... The people there want it to stay open space. There are 2 wealthy brothers there that bought over 6,000 acres of farmland/woods in the last 15 years and built 2 mansions there earlier than that. They don't want it developed so they have to pay development prices...

No there is lots of farmland but also lots of wooded areas.. A local farmer rents the land and farms it... The people there want it to stay open space. There are 2 wealthy brothers there that bought over 6,000 acres of farmland in the last 15 years and built 2 mansions there earlier than that. They don't want it developed so they have to pay development prices...

No "development" around here, we just got electricity and indoor plumbing last year! I guess that's a "development" though. :lol:

Land here to build on is ridiculously expensive. $75-100 grand per acre. Wine country up here so we get all the rich Californians and people from the west side of the state that retire over here.

A 80' x100' buildable lot in a decent residential neighborhood could fetch the owner 3/4 of a million were I live.
Mind you thats city water and sewers.
You could build four attached row houses that would bring 650,000 per unit easy all day long and sell in a matter of weeks

4 acres in my town is a lot. The going rate for an acre is $80/85k or more. Farmer 1 mile south of center of town sold 80 acres to the town $82k an acre, caching. This land was on the main highway. Guys use to kid the guys with with parents who owned these farms. Those kids are millionaires now.

The heirs still sell off their parents' farms around here pretty regular. The usual big arsed chunks of
land, auctioned off because none of the kids want to fool with it...
You can still fetch acreage (some of it useful, oftentimes not so much because of terrain) for a couple
grand an acre if you are choosy and patient.

We've only got 10+ here. It's plenty; 3/4 of it is heavily wooded and gets steep quick behind the house,
so steep you have to go on all fours to go up it. We own to the ridge...
As a kid who grew up in cities and subdivisions, this is plenty - not much chance of development out
here either and like I posted elsewhere, I can't get a look at any neighbor unless through a scope. :)
speaking of which, when someone comes to visit who isn't used to the sound of gunfire, it freaks them
a little - but to us, it's just another sound, sort of sounds like freedom really. :)

We do as we like. We're only a few miles from town, too. Taxes are ridiculously low and there are no
zoning laws here.
Works for me. :thumbsup:

I live in southern Ontario, 2 miles north of north shore of Lake Erie, half way between Detroit and Buffalo. A serviced half acre building lot around here is $100,000 to $125,000. Cost of new house to build is about $300.00 per square foot. Good farm land runs about $30,000 per acre. Our dollar is 0.75 to U.S.$. It's pretty much a seller's market around here with a lot of new construction.

My cousin has 2 quarter sections of river bottom land in se kansas and was offered $4000 per acre. But if you go into town you can buy half a city block for $5000.

Auto Transport Service
Back