• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much is too much, 69 Road Runner

4mulas

Local time
8:10 AM
Reaction score
Bit of a story behind all this but essentially I have the opportunity to buy back the road runner that was in our family when purchased new. It been out of our hands for 25 years now with one owner since it was sold, but before that it was in the family from new.

The car: 1969 Q5 383 4 spd air grabber car performance hood treatment. Numbers match everywhere! It has the manifolds, heads, motor, Trans, diff, EVERYTHING it was shipped with when new., fender tag build sheet are there too. It's Bench seat, radio car and pretty much optionless after that.

The last owner did an amazing restoration job, with as much NOS as he could find and buy, then reconditioned/rebuilt used parts when repop wasn't available or was not of high enough quality, and new repop parts in that order. New legendary everywhere. All mechanical redone, everywhere.
It's not concours but close, I guess many would call it number one car or super high number two if it was not a number one for picky finicky reasons. Has the primer with over spray underneath everything else was redone in its original Q5 base clear paint and is super straight. Shines nicely. Has all mopar heater/rad hoses, distributor cap, wires, proper wiper motor, voltage reg, battery and cables, etc... Etc.... Etc...
All oem stuff everywhere. All new. Has all the paint marking like the assembly line guys did etc...

Question, how much is too much for it or what should a number one/high two car cost in reality? Then, is it justifiable to spend even a bit more on it due to emotional ties and getting the family car back?

I see descent road runners asking anywhere from essentially 30k-44ish . Most online don't appear to be as nice as the one I'm looking at though.

Any honest input is appreciated.

Last edited:
I'd be a buyer at 44 if it's all that you say

To the best of what I can figure out that is kind of where I ended up too. Thank you.

I'm trying to eliminate emotion out of this seeing as it was in the family and never should have been sold in the first place... I love Q5.

To the best of what I can figure out that is kind of where I ended up too. Thank you.

I'm trying to eliminate emotion out of this seeing as it was in the family and never should have been sold in the first place... I love Q5.
pics please sir.

I love Q5 turquoise too
{my 68 was LL1 Surf Metallic Turquoise, it will be when done too}

IMO $35k-$37k would be a good middle of the road price
if it's really clean, unmolested as you say, 4 speed car helps some
maybe add a few more $$$ dollars for sentimental value

you can still get clean 69 RR's for $25k-$30k

I'm on #13 68-70 RR's
among owned many other Mopars too

good luck

Ill see if i can figure out how to get them off the phone here....

For some reason it wont let me upload. Ill try to figure this out later on tonight.

Not very many real #1 cars around.
I'd guess around 40k given the 4 speed and the sentimental attachment.

Anyone able to tell me how to upload a photo from an android Phone? Every time it says not allowed not a valid extensions??

Last edited:
It's your call and your finances but when I bought my 65 Dodge I paid to much because it was pristine and what I wanted, end of story. Good luck on your decision :thumbsup:

Then, is it justifiable to spend even a bit more on it due to emotional ties and getting the family car back?
That is a question only you can answer. I'm sure the current owner knows you where the original since he bought it from you and that would probably put you at a disadvantage.

I had always wondered what I'd be willing to spend if I found my first '69 Road Runner. Fortunately I never had to really think about it too much. Probably would have over paid for it. As it turned out I found one that is about 95% of what the first one was.

Any strain on your bank account is insignificant to the mental anguish of having this car slip away from you.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Another member offered to help me post but until I get organized to do that here is a photo taken from the tablet of pics off my phone. Sorry for the crappy resolution. Stand by. Lol

I wish you all the luck in getting it back. Just remember one thing. Its a car and not the car so much but the memories it has. The guys here will and have given you a good idea of what it is worth. Don't show the seller your all weak in the knees about this car. Just you want a RR and you know the history of this one, none of this emotional stuff. I met my wife i had a 65 Corvette roadster. I have a picture of her before we were married sitting on the back deck of that car wearing a dress and at 22 trust me she had great legs. Sure id love to get that car back if not for nothing else just the memories. When i get my 69 vert done im going to sit her the exact same way in the back of this car and post those two pictures for all of you, my friends here at FBBO.

I wish you all the luck in getting it back. Just remember one thing. Its a car and not the car so much but the memories it has. The guys here will and have given you a good idea of what it is worth. Don't show the seller your all weak in the knees about this car. Just you want a RR and you know the history of this one, none of this emotional stuff. I met my wife i had a 65 Corvette roadster. I have a picture of her before we were married sitting on the back deck of that car wearing a dress and at 22 trust me she had great legs. Sure id love to get that car back if not for nothing else just the memories. When i get my 69 vert done im going to sit her the exact same way in the back of this car and post those two pictures for all of you, my friends here at FBBO.

Well that's true and thanks. Bottom line is he knows what it's worth but has actually done me a favor by giving me first right of refusal before it hits an open market. It's pretty much at the high end of the mark stated here and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do the deal in the day or so.

I just didn't want everyone on here to tell me it's worth 30 tops when i was prepared to pay 44. :)
I'm okay with paying a high price for it. It's cool, I used to own it, and now it's restored and I didn't lose 3-5 years of my life doing it. That's worth something too...

Thank you.

Auto Transport Service
Back