• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much Oil Pressure is Too Much?????

cr8crshr

Local time
1:04 AM
Reaction score
My 383 build has been producing around 80-85 PSI when the engine is running. Got a windage tray and it is a center sump set up. It is in my 1966 Ply Sat Project. The FSM [Factory Service Manual] calls for between 40-45 PSI. I assume that is based on Stock engines only. I am running a Melling High Volume Oil Pump and I am wondering if it is too much for a Street type build. On my previous engine builds, I have used pretty much the same exact parts so I haven't really deviated all that much. I had a bad rear main seal leak and after my Brother suggested I might be producing too much oil pressure, that I just possibly could have blown the seal. Is this a concern and am I just overly too cautious?????

As long as it ain't blowin the fliter off, it ain't too much.

I have a high pressure pump on mine and have for 3 years with 85-90PSI at engine start and between 70-75 psi while cruising. No issues.

Arty will pull 90 psi on a cold start, with 10-40 synthetic in it. 75 psi when warm at 2000 rpm and up, 40-45 at idle.

Mopar engine manual states 10PSI per/1,000RPM you plan to turn' is a good number to shoot for (70PSI for 7,000RPM Engine). I run around 75-80PSI with the same oil pump, and around 60PSI at idle.

Most of the oil systems use a relief valve to limit pressure to around 80psi. My Milodon pump does this. I think the general thinking is that anything over 80 psi you are just wasting Hp. Not that there is anything particularly wrong with 90-100 psi but there is really no benefit and just wasting power.
I will add to the FWIW column, that my system was making right at 80psi cold, dropping to 60-65 or so when I was warmed up at idle - still limited to 80 by the pressure relief valve. Then I removed the restrictors that I had in the lines to my heads and my pressure dropped to around 72 cold and now goes down to 40 when warm and at idle. Restrictors make a big difference - if you use them.

All sounds normal to me too. I have a 66 383 in my 67 with a MP high volume pump and those r the same numbers I'm getting.

The 383 that I ran in the 80's was off scale cold (over 100 PSI) or anything above idle. The lowest I ever saw was 95 PSI at hot idle. I didn't bother to look into it since I wasn't blowing the filter off, or perhaps the gauge was wrong, but never an issue. This was the only engine that I ever had like that so must have been an anomaly. I'd say your 80 PSI is like 1500-2000 RPM and above? What is it at hot idle? I get 40 at hot idle and 70-75 at high RPM.

Auto Transport Service
Back