• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Much Paint?

Red63440

Local time
10:16 AM
Reaction score
Would like to paint my 64 Fury, color is WW1. How much paint do I need and what’s the best way to go, single stage or base coat clear coat?

What all are you painting?

10BFEBBE-6E43-48DE-9570-EC574857249F.jpeg
The entire car, 1964 Plymouth Fury, 2 dr HT.

Last edited:
Exterior, Jams, Trimout Hood, Trunk and Doors, and Engine compartment? 2 gallons sprayable.
Base clear is what I would go with, but single stage will cost you less.

non metallic, especially WHITE; I'd go single stage....... but I would make sure to get MORE THAN ENOUGH, all mixed at the same time, and then mixed together.......

unlike basecoat; if you have to do a repair, you have to paint the entire panel...... and you want enough to make any fixes in the future..... car coming apart? painting both sides of everything? trunk pan? ..........the job requires 2 gallons, I'd invest in a third as an insurance policy

also, white basecoat is hard to blend for some reason...... I can always see the blend under the clear (painters eye)........ this is my experience, I do not like working with white basecoat after the fact..... other opinions are respected

Last edited:
Thanks Jerry:thumbsup:
That will be cutting it close, but if you don't have a lot of waste that should get it. The trick to less waste is to have all your trim out ready to spray at one time, so you are not mixing small quantities multiple times.

It’s just a question of finding someone local willing to do it in single stage.

Just curious, are any of the mixed paints from Eastwood or Summit a match for WW1? They have a few flavors of white and I am wondering which one would be closest and how close it would be?

My 73 Satellite took about 2.5 gallons of single stage including me spraying the engine bay while not fully knowing what I was doing, and not painting the trunk except the underside of the lid. The shop that shot the rest of the car had to do a respray of part of one quarter panel and the hood.

I have about a quart left for touch up if I need it.

Last edited:
Another vote for single stage. I painted my ERA Cobra in PPG Concept single stage black and it came out great. Concept covers very well too unlike some cheaper paints which might save a pass or two around the car as compared to a cheaper single stage or BC/CC, although I’m not sure that equates to any cost savings. Of course that may only matter if painting the car yourself.

Paint should not be 1/2 inc thick!!!!!
People love the bc/cc, to wet sand with multiple grades, and buff. People don't relate to single stage so much, BUT that white no metallic it can also be wet sanded and buffed slick. No orange peel. People like the depth of clear, Then you do need MORE paint for single stage. But 3 gal of sprayable material! wow can't believe anyone can lay that much material down!!!
bc/cc. The clear is supposedly more UV resistant. Supposedly. When the clear goes to heck you have nothing. With single stage, if enough material, after it loses it prime, it an be sanded and buffed.
Just my thoughts.

Wait a minute, if he is not doing a color change, why are we suggesting so much paint? He does not have to do engine compartment, jambs etc. as long as he blends it right and uses similar paint system like SS. 2-3 gallons sprayable seems really high to me for a HVLP well-planned spray out.

RGAZ

Wait a minute, if he is not doing a color change, why are we suggesting so much paint?

RGAZ

I suggested making sure to have extra for any future repairs........ matching white is a motherfucker

My local store had a 17 year old kid with dreadlocks that got my aged, cracked, EW1 100% dead on.

My 67 took about 2.5 gallons, i would get 3 just in case you need to touch up any mess ups

Auto Transport Service
Back