• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much power do I have

cbodybob

Local time
6:31 AM
Reaction score
IMG_3292.JPG
IMG_3293.JPG
This 66 Belveder barn find I just bought. It has a 440 in it. It was built 5 years ago & never driven. He took glass & trim off so he could get it painted & then ran into health issues. It's a .30 over 440, forged crank & Pistons. He said it was 9.5/1 compression pistons. It has a Lunati cam with .557 lift & 230 duration. MOPAR stage 6 aluminum heads right out of the box , no mods. He put a Weiand low rise dual plane intake on it. 850 dual line Holley single pump. And brand new expensive TTI headers that have gotten rusty. All backed by a Hemi 4 speed & 8.75 rear with 3:23 sure grip. He thinks it has 500 @ 6500 RPM. I'm thinking 450 at the crank. Any ideas.

The engine looks like its been sitting for more than five years. I'd ask to see receipts and try to do a visual inside the valve covers ect to see if it has even had a recent rebuild.
Jmo

The car is great find...................but.......

As I have a lot of flow bench time with STG VI heads I can tell you that those heads, with no modifications, have, sad but true, less flow than a stock factory iron head. The only advantages that engine has over stock are cam and headers. Not enough head to use the cam effectively, so, 400-425 HP.

In a if everything is done right scenario
@ the crank my guess would be "maybe" 400-425
at maybe 5800-6000, not at 6500
it may pull to 6500, depending on your rockers & valve-springs etc.
as is {?} IMO but it'll be dropping off after about 6000

the intake may be holding it back, choken' it some {what intake ?}
9.5:1 compression is holding it back a tad too
IMO that cam would peak at about maybe 6000 "as it sits"

little more port work on the OOTB Stage VI heads {2.14 & 1.81 valves ?}
& carb intake, ignition tuning {what ignition does it even have ?} etc.
all could bump it quite a bit more, in the 450+ range

looks like a decent project,
knock off some rust & dust & go see what it does

good luck

In a if everything is done right scenario
@ the crank my guess would be "maybe" 400-425
at maybe 5800-6000, not at 6500
it may pull to 6500, depending on your rockers & valve-springs etc.
as is {?} IMO but it'll be dropping off after about 6000

the intake may be holding it back, choken' it some {what intake ?}
9.5:1 compression is holding it back a tad too
IMO that cam would peak at about maybe 6000 "as it sits"

little more port work on the OOTB Stage VI heads {2.14 & 1.81 valves ?}
& carb intake, ignition tuning {what ignition does it even have ?} etc.
all could bump it quite a bit more, in the 450+ range

looks like a decent project,
knock off some rust & dust & go see what it does

good luck
What do you call that Budnicks, "great minds"? Neither one of us knew what the other was typing. A freaky lot of experience coming to the same conclusion.

Threads like this are enjoyable to read....it also helps me decide who I will turn to for advice on a future engine build. :thumbsup:

The engine looks like its been sitting for more than five years. I'd ask to see receipts and try to do a visual inside the valve covers ect to see if it has even had a recent rebuild.
Jmo
I know the guy. It's good. I know the machinist who built it. It's good

The intake is surely holding it back. It has a MP electronic ignition kit on it. As for the heads. I remember when he picked them up from the machinist. He said then he had 3k in them. No porting. As for RPM the cam is rated to 6000. My 318 would turn to 6 , but didn't go any faster than turning it to 5200. And it had factory stock 360 J heads & a whole lot less cam. It ran 13.7's in a 69 B body.

By the way. That 318 picked up 1/2 second going from the stock 2 barrel carb to an Eddy LD340 & a Holley universal 600. Then I bolted on the stock J heads & cheapo Black Jack headers & it picked up a full second. 1 1/2 seconds for $400 bucks

Last edited:
I seem to remember "back in the day" Mopar guys all said 10.5-1 compression was more like 10 or less(?)

What do you call that Budnicks, "great minds"? Neither one of us knew what the other was typing. A freaky lot of experience coming to the same conclusion.
Yeah great minds think alike...LOL
I saw that after I posted you said
basically the same estimate...

Did some calculating. My old 318 inch drag car made 292 horse at the crank which comes to .92 horse per cube. At 400 horse at the crank this 446 would only be making .90 horse per cube. I find that hard to believe. This engine has bigger & better carb. Better heads with much bigger ports & better chamber. 2.14 valve vs 1.88 Much better headers. Much bigger cam. 9.5 compression vs 8.0 on the 318. Better rings & ring seal & a deep pan with windage controll. So at .95 horse per cube it would be 423 horse at the crank. I honestly feel like it would be closer to 1 per cube. Did a little reasearch on those heads. Your right. Lots of complaints on the early Stage 6. However a lot of guys seemed happy with the later versions. Several saying they got into the 9's with these heads after porting. One even saying he swapped his out on a 9 sec car for Indy heads & the car didn't run any quicker. I don't think the heads are hurting this engine. The intake manifold definitely is. I got a tall M1 single plane in the deal. It was in the trunk. Looks new. So I called him up & talked to him about that. He said he was going to put a stock hood on it. He didn't like the six pack scoop hood. The M1 wouldn't fit the stock hood. He just didn't get around to putting the hood on. He said I could have the hood if I wanted it. So I may go pick it up tomorrow. He said he copied a build from a magizine article. Used the same parts. He put a 650 cam in it just like the from the magizine. He said it was dynoed at over 500. He swapped the cam out for the 557 lift because the 650 idled too radical. I'm sure this intake is costing this engine 30-40 horse & the cam swap 15-20. So if the magizine build wasen't lying with their Dyno numbers. And if he really did use the same parts as the article minus the changes. It should be in the 450 range.

Take it to the track and find out. MPH doesn't lie.

I've had very similar combos is why I said 400. If anything, I think that is optimistic but that is its potential.

Just don't be disappointed when it runs mid 13's @ 104mph.

Take it to the track and find out. MPH doesn't lie.

I've had very similar combos is why I said 400. If anything, I think that is optimistic but that is its potential.

Just don't be disappointed when it runs mid 13's @ 104mph.
I doubt I'll have time to get it to the track this year. The intake is going to hurt & the 3:23 gears.

It's a 4 speed car too. I've never had a 4 speed car before. Let alone shifted one down a drag strip. It may only run 17's LoL. It's gonna take a few passes just to get decent at it

Auto Transport Service
Back