• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how much pressure should power steering pump have

brad 66

Local time
5:35 PM
Reaction score
just had power steering pump rebuilt put it on worked good for about 10 miles than no power took off pressure line fluid trickles out i can put my thumb over end and stop it i also replaced the fitting that goes into steering box

The actual spec for 60's cars is nuts, like 750 to 1050 psi, depending on the specific pump. Something is wrong.

Just a tip. Hydraulic pressure can inject oil under your skin. They will than amputate your finger or the affected part.
I would avoid putting any body parts in the way of 1000 psi.

upload_2019-4-24_22-1-56.png

The actual spec for 60's cars is nuts, like 750 to 1050 psi, depending on the specific pump. Something is wrong.
No, not nuts. Simply a function of the action- reaction surface area versus required force to do the work within the confines of the available actuator area PLUS a 20-30% pressure stability margin.

it did not have fifty pounds pressure took off last night going back to rebuilder today

Great information! Thank you.
By the way, and I suppose this will be a forum etiquette error; how difficult would it be to change out the power steering to manual steering box (using an Ehrenberg adaptor coupling) ?
I have a new in the box manual steering gear box but have no idea what else is required (I do wish to keep the existing neutered automatic steering column through the above mentioned power to manual steering box adaptor). Ah... and I must do it with the engine in place!!
Thank you for the great inspiring help always given on these forums! ;-)
matthew

I am not sure- I swapped a full manual column/box for a PS column, but motor was out of the car (for racing). Swapped back when I restored the car. I have never used the adaptor.

Auto Transport Service
Back