• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much $$$ to build a 383 motor???

Fireslayer

Local time
1:24 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and I'm wondering if you guys could give me some ideas of how much it would cost to build a 450-500 HP 383 motor? I would be dropping the motor and bolting everything on so I'm mostly interested in the cost of the internals, head work/aftermarket heads or different heads, and performance manifold/carb. I would most likely be building a 4 barrel car but would like a six pack. I know a six pack set up is big money and there can be issues with hood clearance with a N96.

So can anyone share their cost or knowledge on how much I'd be looking to build an old stock 383 long block? If anyone wants to comment on how much it would most likely cost to rebuild a 4 speed I'd appreciate that as well.

I know there are many variables with parts, performance, and costs. Any recommendations or information would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I'd be open to building a 440 motor but I don't have one and of course there's only so much money to go around. I do want a very fast and streetable car though--don't we all! Thanks in advance!!!!

I just recently posted some info about building a good street 383 using mostly factory parts for another FBBO member. Check here http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?t=4724 I'm sure I could have made plenty of improvements but for throwing a bunch of parts together it worked very well.

You can go to Summit or your local machine shop and figure cost for an engine kit. You don't need anything exotic for 400-450 HP.

Meep,

Thanks for the link and your input. I'll check it out. The car I'm considering has a date correct 383 but the guy also has a complete and running steel crank 440. He wants an extra $500 for the 440 instead of the 383. I'm sure I could negotiate some with this price if I buy the car. The car has the fender tag/vin plate but it's not the original motor and I'm not too caught up in the number correct stuff. I want a car the way I like it. What do you think about the 440 vs 383 in this situation? Tranny is a 4 speed with bell houseing and it hasn't been referenced at all so I don't know what it is out of. Car is an original 4 speed car. Would you go for the 440 and at what cost? The 383 is all there too but both should probably be rebuilt. Car would be a very nice and hopefully fast driver. Not a show car though but definately a respectable headturner--even up close.

If you plan on any serious hammering on this thing, then a 23 spline and an 8.75 won't hold up for long. Driving is a different story

If you have the choice of the 440 vs the 383, and don't mind the cost difference, then build the 440. All else being equal between the two you will feel the difference of the extra cubes. Don't take this as "you should never build a 383" but sometimes it can make sense dollar wise to build the 440. The build cost should be about the same so it just comes down to if you are getting a good deal on the 440 core. 383's never got any respect (maybe they still don't) but my lil' B engine whooped *** on a 426 HEMI car - twice - because the owner couldn't/didn't believe it the first time and a 440 E body or two at the track. People don't like getting beat by 383's. When the Chevy guys get beat they scream big block against small block. That's when I said my whopping 33 more cubes has a shorter stroke and weighs more than your screw in stud wonder.

If you run slicks or really sticky street tires and like to side step the clutch at 5000 RPM then you will find a weak link in your drive train eventually, but on street tires, an 8.75" and 23 spline will be just fine with the tires going up in smoke. At least I should say I never heard of anyone tearing them up. I ran a Max Wedge in front of a 3.55 sure grip 8.75" and a 4 spd and I couldn't hurt it.

Speaking of rear ends, today I tore apart two 9" Fords (one being a track lock) and an 8.75" Sure Grip. Looking at the parts side by side I was blown away at the difference in bearing sizes. The 9" pinion and carrier bearings look to be slightly larger then the inner wheel bearings in my RR, and the 8.75" stuff might as well be out of a tank!! I'm sure the difference in design between the two has a lot to do with bearing selection, but just looking at the parts laid out the 9" is like a toy compared to the 8.75".

Thanks again for your input guys. I've learned a lot by just trolling around this forum. This forum is a great asset with LOTS of highly knowledgable participants.

The tranny is a 23 spline version and the rearend is the stock 8 3/4 with 323 gears. I'd like to eventually add a Passion or Keilser tranny since I'd plan on putting some miles on the car if I buy it. I'd most likely add some deeper gears as well so I could chew up some Mustangs and riceburners running up and down the Kansas City interstates.

I am 36 years old and have been without anything "a bit fast" for some years now--marriage and young children will do that to you. I was fortunate enough to have a nice 70 Mustang coupe with a nicely built 289 in high school but I always wanted a Superbee or a Roadrunner growing up. Finally, after years of hard work to get where I'm at in life I am fortunate enough to be in a position to buy something that I can realistically afford. It's a very excitieng feeling and a testimate that hard work is eventually rewarded. I look forward to future posts and I appreciate your guys input.

Love that small block Ford. I spent 9 yrs and 95K miles in a 68 Mustang GT 302/4spd and you just can't blow them up so long as you have oil in them!

Best of luck with your project.

Love that small block Ford. I spent 9 yrs and 95K miles in a 68 Mustang GT 302/4spd and you just can't blow them up so long as you have oil in them!

Funny you say that - I just picked up a T5 trans from a Ford guy who says he loved his old 71 Challenger with a 340 / 4-speed for the same reason...

I guess the grass is always greener.... :edgy:

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and I'm wondering if you guys could give me some ideas of how much it would cost to build a 450-500 HP 383 motor? I would be dropping the motor and bolting everything on so I'm mostly interested in the cost of the internals, head work/aftermarket heads or different heads, and performance manifold/carb. I would most likely be building a 4 barrel car but would like a six pack. I know a six pack set up is big money and there can be issues with hood clearance with a N96.

So can anyone share their cost or knowledge on how much I'd be looking to build an old stock 383 long block? If anyone wants to comment on how much it would most likely cost to rebuild a 4 speed I'd appreciate that as well.

I know there are many variables with parts, performance, and costs. Any recommendations or information would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I'd be open to building a 440 motor but I don't have one and of course there's only so much money to go around. I do want a very fast and streetable car though--don't we all! Thanks in advance!!!!

what car are you buying ? N96 and six pac's can work fine together , also I am from KC would love to help you or see your new ride ?

bird 71 dc brddc.jpg

fender cover.jpg

496 cu in 383

Check out www.440source.com there are many many options available now for these engines that never existed before. You can build a 496 cubic inch "B/383" short block for $2000.00 in parts!!

ok i just recently had my 383 rebuilt and i have about $2,500 in mine. Farris racing engines did all the machine work and built a short block for me. We dynod the motor and it is 475hp at the flywheel. Im .30 over with Keith black hyper utechtic flat tops runing a 10 to 1 compression ratio. Comp 280 cam. edelbrock performer intake and a 750cfm holley dp. The heads have triple springs new seats and over sized valves. This motor thumps pretty good and as you can tell im not going for gas mileage!! 2500 hughes stall converter with a 727 tranny and 3.91 posi in the rear. The shop i used is known for there high horespower mopar engines, they have over 45 years of experince with mopar. You tell them your goal and they will give it. But dont forget the more money you have the more horsepower you can get, HOW MUCH MONEY YOU GOT!!

Auto Transport Service
Back