• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much to build a crate to ship a 4 speed?

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:59 AM
Reaction score
I've done several to ship all kinds of things from door glass to transmissions and it takes time and resources and well, after doing them for pretty much nothing, I'm thinking of adding that to the shipping costs but not sure what to charge. Your thoughts??

Having done a few for subframes and suspensions, I know of what you speak. I just figure if I got a good price for the stuff, the cost is built in.

Your hour rate plus cost of materials.so mine is 85.00 per hr plus 80.00 in materials. It is about 2 hrs labor

Used an available pallet and bubble wrap tight to ship to Australia. Got enough for the 833 to cover.

Whatever the cost of a sheet of plywood, plus $20 for time and other materials.

Honestly cranky, I just sold/shipped an A-833 about a month ago. I just used a small pallet & strapped it to the pallet. It obviously has to be "top loaded" since it's not square without a crate. It's pretty darn difficult to break an A-833.......errr...unless you have slicks and a bunch of spray, but that's another story altogether :lol:

The crate Passon used to ship his tranny to me was really nice. I could see charging $75 to build:
passon transmission arrival 4-10-18.jpg

This thing could survive being dropped I'd think. Combination of framing and plywood. The tailshaft
mount on the transmission is bolted in place to hold the unit in the framework.

Put wood blocks on a small pallet to level and support the tranny. Strap it securely with steel straps . wrap the trans. with shipping plastic wrap ( stretchy and tough. ) I shipped one 1/2 way across the USA this way and it arrived in excellent condition. Shipped through "Fastenal"...........MO

Above post is the way it should be sent. Nice job!
Yep, great job by the folks at Passon. Also note it was shipped through UPS straight to the house!
It also had hand handholes in either end, made for easy lifting.
Unfortunately, the transmission itself wasn't in as nice a shape and had to go back. Oh well.

I have made use of the wooden Passon transmission crate more than once. I even used it after it sat outside partially exposed to rain and the weather.
The 855 5 speeds have a fabricated steel frame "crate" with a heavy gauge cardboard box that slips over the metal frame.
I think the wooden crate costs $75 IIRC
Definitely the way to go.

Your hour rate plus cost of materials.so mine is 85.00 per hr plus 80.00 in materials. It is about 2 hrs labor
$250 to build a scrap wood crate, WOW
I built one for a 727 bolted it to the crate through the bell holes and even put rigid insulation on the entire inside and a 2" rigid insulation board that it sat on and it was all screwed together so he was able to disassemble easily. I charged him -0-.
UPS SUCKS damaged my parts 3 time in the last 7 months.
I shipped the 727 truck freight.

IMG_8690.JPG IMG_8699.JPG IMG_8695.JPG IMG_8694.JPG

John Huff in Casper Wyoming, has spent a huge amount of time, effort and money to design and implement a cost effective way to ship these awesome 855 transmissions. The prototype metal crates were tested (with a transmission installed) by dropping 10 feet high from a forklift. The transmission survived multiple tests, therefore, he went with the steel cage crate. The steel crate proved to be successful for most initial transmission deliveries, however, 2 had issues. Believe it or not, the steel frame crates proved to be to rigid for shipping as "moparedtn" experienced (above post). John, and his team, went back to work to design another way to ship and came up with the wooden crate. The wooden crate actually absorbs the shipping "punishment" and there has been no issues thus far. The wooden crate is actually a great storage space for other items, including your original 833 4spd transmission. Great job John Huff!

The crate Passon used to ship his tranny to me was really nice. I could see charging $75 to build:View attachment 613598

This thing could survive being dropped I'd think. Combination of framing and plywood. The tailshaft
mount on the transmission is bolted in place to hold the unit in the framework.
That looks very similar to the one I made! I also took it to a lumber yard and got it banded. One band lengthwise and two around the mid section. I was going to ship the trans with Fastenal but the guy the trans was going to had a commercial UPS account so that's how it went. He actually got it shipped cheaper too.... :( Looks like having a commercial account is the way to go. I tried to get one but since my small shop is in a residential neighborhood, I was refused. Thing is, the town I live in has no zoning laws.....

Cranky, if you have a p.o. box number ups will give you a commercial account. Just use your street address as ship to maybe this will help.

FedEx has been a little less expensive than UPS for shipping my 833 to Passon.
About $20-$25 less.

Let me tell you a story regarding a guy i used to work with. Spoiled rich kid douche. He would tell us bragging stories about working for a shipping firm, and how he and his buddies would drop kick the packages around like soccer balls. I told him man that ain't funny you douche that could be someone's family heirlooms your damaging. Guy was such a cock used to show the selfies that girls would send him playing with themself. Said man you think your the only guy who played around with the girls.

Auto Transport Service
Back