• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much torque can a 833 handle.

19 69 GTX

Local time
8:55 PM
Reaction score
Will a 833 23 spline handle a 505 with 650 torque. Mainly a street car but would be romped on a lot

Depends entirely on whether the tires hook up, or not.
Keep t/a radials on it, should be fine, cause you'll spin em till next tuesday.

Depends entirely on whether the tires hook up, or not.
Keep t/a radials on it, should be fine, cause you'll spin em till next tuesday.
^^^ agree with this.

If everything truly hooked up (no tire slippage) and you popped the clutch to get the car moving, you would likely grenade the 23 spline (probably a stock 8 3/4 axle too). Manual transmissions can be really tough on drivetrain parts, including the transmission itself.

What those guys said. But, I think the 8 3/4 would ~probably~ hold up, the 23-spline would be "the first to go " !

I think a 23 spline 4-speed is stronger than you think. I have blown clutches, twisted driveshafts, and spread yokes. The worst I ever did to a 23 spline 4-speed is break the 1-2 shift fork. Ofcourse whatever the weakest link is, that's what will break.

At our track I watched guys on slicks break the 8 3/4's before the 23 splines.

On street tires they live along time no matter how and you beat them.
Doug

My car went about 10000 hard miles on the street, and 50ish passes on slicks. 650 TQ, McLeod twin disc clutch. 4000 lbs with driver.
23 spline still works great, just went to a Passon. Did not powershift it though.

I blew my 8-3/4 to pieces, but my 23 spline lives on.

I blew my 8-3/4 to pieces, but my 23 spline lives on.
Cool. It's all in life experiences, that's why I noted "PROBABLY" !!!!! In my case, we did a couple cars in the garage way back in the day, both were the 23-splines, one was barberpoled. If your diff was "loose" as we called it, it would explode if you looked at it wrong.

Cool. It's all in life experiences, that's why I noted "PROBABLY" !!!!! In my case, we did a couple cars in the garage way back in the day, both were the 23-splines, one was barberpoled. If your diff was "loose" as we called it, it would explode if you looked at it wrong.
It had all new parts, it's possible the set-up wasn't perfect.
But my trans isn't blueprinted or anything either.
I have heard more about rear ends coming apart than 833s.

2nd gear from my really nice hemi box. 3800# and a slipper clutch. Mild 505 Hemi. There’s no guarantees on these old parts.

6D35A084-7341-4F2E-B124-23FF73F736CD.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back