• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How rare? One of 74..

Qtti

Local time
2:52 AM
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Year ago I bought my 1968 Charger. It already had 5.7 gen3 Hemi engine swapped with modern transmission, disc brakes and Ridetech air suspension. I´ve searched mymopar.com site and I noticed that my car is 1 of 74 1968 Chargers produced with 383 2bbl and 4 speed floor shifter. I also have fender tag and build sheet. Now I´m thinking that I´d maybe like to restore it after I´ve enjoyed couple of years of my current setup. Of course numbers matching engine and transmission are gone, etc.. Would it be worth it? Money wise? How rare Mopars do you guys have? I have restored the interior already, and I´m planning to get the car painted during this winter. I include three photos. I´m also thinking color options, originally my car was little darker red than nowadays. -Qtti from Finland, Europe-
IMG_7012.JPG
IMG_7014.JPG
IMG_7015.JPG

Not having the original engine and trans, I would think it is worth more just like it is. It looks like a real nice car. The car is "modernized" with the newer 5.7 and trans and in my opinion it is more reliable than the origanal setup. Lots of people are spending lots of money to convert their cars to just what you already have. If it was mine, I'd enjoy it just as it is!

The reason why there may be so few cars as built, is that nobody really wanted a mundane 2 bbl engine with a 4-speed manual trans. I concur with prior opinions, it's a better car now than it was as built. And the color as it is now looks great !

You know what else is rare? Slant 6 Chargers with column shift three speed manual. But rare doesn't mean people are hoping to have one. :) I'd say just enjoy your modern engine in your car.

2015-02-22 12.23.28.jpg
I agree with every one. Enjoy it like it is.
If it was a numbers car it may be worth restoring it to the original build sheet.
Here is my 70 Dodge Coronet R/T Vert that is a numbers car.
I restored it to it's original spec's.
When you take in the color it's one of 27.
I felt it was worth it.
At a resent show a fellow said to me that I spent a lot of time restoring it. I reply'd "And a lot of time being broke" LOL

I agree with everyone else. Leave the drive train as is. The car looks great; make sue it is reliable and works well, and it will give you happiness, and likely will be worth more that way than a 383 2bbl.

I agree with most on here enjoy the car as is number matching is important on rare cars and only some of them are high ticket items

Great car ..Seeing you don't have the original motor..Stay with what you have ..The information is cool about car but you can't back it up..Enjoy that beautiful car..If i didn't have my runner the next car i would want would be a charger!!!

View attachment 368915 I agree with every one. Enjoy it like it is.
If it was a numbers car it may be worth restoring it to the original build sheet.
Here is my 70 Dodge Coronet R/T Vert that is a numbers car.
I restored it to it's original spec's.
When you take in the color it's one of 27.
I felt it was worth it.
At a resent show a fellow said to me that I spent a lot of time restoring it. I reply'd "And a lot of time being broke" LOL
How did you find out it was a 1 of 27? My car has a VO2 roof color code with oh might make it a 1 of 1 but I don't know where to verify...

So one thing led to another :D I sold that modern 5.7 and 545RFE transmission and all air suspension parts.

Car looked okay on those earlier photos but when the paint was removed, it was something else. Now it´s going thru major restoration, no leaf left unturned.. It already has gen2 Hemi with 727 and Dana60 waiting...

14674920.jpg

Last edited:
Well, so much for leaving it as is! :lol:

The important thing is that you make it what YOU want. Looks like you have quite a bit of work now!

Out of curiosity is it a late 68 or an early 68?
I believe Jan 1 is the cutoff.

Early cars did not have a VIN on the engine block so you could theoretically find an early 68 block and be "numbers matching".

I love the more "mundane" oddities like your car.

They are more interesting to me than the 1 of 2 440+6 four speed in sublime cars.

There is a 361 four speed 66 Coronet 440 on ebay right now that I'd love to have.

Out of curiosity is it a late 68 or an early 68?
I believe Jan 1 is the cutoff.

Early cars did not have a VIN on the engine block so you could theoretically find an early 68 block and be "numbers matching".

I love the more "mundane" oddities like your car.

They are more interesting to me than the 1 of 2 440+6 four speed in sublime cars.

There is a 361 four speed 66 Coronet 440 on ebay right now that I'd love to have.

It´s early 68, March 21st built. It has early 68´s front window molding clips (from 67 model), sliding ash tray door etc small things which separates early and late models. I´ve read somewhere that around May they changed.. I´ve both the fender tag and build sheet.

I would have left that one alone. Minus, the seats and steering wheel. Having said that, I don’t like the idea of putting a modern engine in a classic muscle car. I can relate why people would want to do that in a vintage car from the 50’s that originally came with an inline 6 cylinder engine. A period correct engine in a muscle car is a must in my eyes. They have plenty of power and are just as dependable as any modern engine. I like an accurate sounding engine that matches the time period of our cars. You don’t get that with a modern engine.

With it already being done, if it runs well and isn't a hack job, I'd sure be tempted to leave it.

?????? You have a modernized classic that is probably as reliable and capable as anything else on the road. Why on god's green earth would you ever want to lose that? Unless we were talking about a 1 of 20 Daytona or Superbird going back to stock isnt even remotely worth considering.

But, if you really want an original type car then I suggest you maybe trade with someone who wants a restomod but owns an original type car?

Is there any sign or clue in the fender tag that it originally had a black vinyl roof? I had one of those 1 of 74 back in 1997....and it was more of a blood red. 383 2bbl 4 speed...was a fun driver.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back