• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to change out 1/4 rubber window track sealsdows in place

funnykarman

Local time
3:33 PM
Reaction score
I have a 2 door post car that is being built as a AFX Pro Street car . Finally getting to install tubs and will have to put windows in and installed before tubs are put in place . I have new 1/4 window seals and window track rubber but the old stuff is in a track that pinches it real tight . Has anyone replaced this in their car and what is the best way to do it . The old rubber and the new look exactly the same with rubber wings in the back . I could cut the old out but how do I put the new ones back end .
IMG_2506.JPG
IMG_2508.JPG
IMG_2509.JPG
IMG_2510.JPG

Well after 2 days and 85 views with no answers I took a leap of faith and cut the old rubber track out . The top of the old rubber was cut at a 45 degree angle to mate at the top of the track . On the front there was a tab that held the track in place , I bent it back up and cut the new track on the end , it slid back into the window rail . to seat it was it was pushed I used a small nail puller end to set it down as I pushed it up . The curved back piece went in well but had to be seated several times with small end of the nail puller I used . So all is well and I am moving forward with the car .

Glad we could help! :lol:

I quess there's not too many post car guys on here that have replaced them? Glad you got it figured out and thanks for posting your results.

Keep in touch with your build. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks khryslerkid , guess you are right . I read somewhere that for every 2dr post cars built there was 10 2dr hardtop cars built . I am replacing every seal and window track in my car , I bought everything years ago and have a boat load of money in this stuff . Love your 1962 dodge polara 500 , had one years ago , put a set of headers on it and it really woke up the motor . To this day I have not figured out what size motor it had . Came from the factory with dual exhaust , big afb carb and dual point dis. I had a shop do the install , took all day and cost me $50.00 bucks , left the his shop hit the road , turned it up to 5500 rpm and hit the 2nd gear button the car went sideways , had to go home and clean out my shorts . Just a memory from a long time age .. Thanks John

Just saw your post and I think I can give you a couple of pointers as I just finishefy 64 post Belvedere. Your install seems correct but you may want to use a little adhesive at the bottom of the felt as it will tend to slip down if you roll the windows down. When installing the glass I installed it from the INSIDE!
It may go in from outside but I was unable to accomplish that

I would recommend installing the glass before painting the inside trim surround which is permanent or heavy tape if it's already painted. Good luck and let's see some pictures.
Gary

Just saw your post and I think I can give you a couple of pointers as I just finishefy 64 post Belvedere. Your install seems correct but you may want to use a little adhesive at the bottom of the felt as it will tend to slip down if you roll the windows down. When installing the glass I installed it from the INSIDE!
It may go in from outside but I was unable to accomplish that

I would recommend installing the glass before painting the inside trim surround which is permanent or heavy tape if it's already painted. Good luck and let's see some pictures.
Gary
Thanks Gary , My windows will be put in a fixed up position . once in they will not be moved due to the altered wheelbase of the car . But Many thanks John
IMG_1682.JPG
it being a AFX car and the wheel tubs are right under the window .

I installed the 1/4 window and window track the same way as you described. I used a bit of adhesive in places. Install the glass from the inside, but tape up any painted areas to prevent scratches. I seem to recall the 1/4 glass goes in at a goofy angle then straighten it out in the slides. Keep everything loose until in the position that you want.
20139695_1420184284735279_3398691649986740501_n.jpg

This is what I was looking for my windows and how I did it . After putting the new window track channel pieces in place , I took the windows and had them tinted to 35% . I have always felt that this gives the car a better look . Plus look where I live AZ. HOT. In the news paper one day this was printed Arizona weather is 3 months of heaven and 9 months of Hell and Hell has just arrived !
I put the glass into the new tracks and then had to figure out how to keep it in place , first I drilled out the spot welds on the old window track and was going to make up a rod to hold them but changed my mind after having a talk with my self , and yes I talk to my self . I welded the two pieces back together and held it up to the bottom of the window . I saw that there were 2 holes that lined up perfect with the slots in the lower frame piece and were recessed . I found some concrete studs that was left over that were 3/8 inch threads ( I am cheap ! ) . picked up 3/8 nuts , flat washers and lock washer . Spaced them out and kept fitting them until the lower piece was under the window then cut off the extra that was not needed . I used window shield adhesive to set the window into the lower track and installed it . I could use the nuts on both sides to adjust the bottom in or out . Pic's of studs and how the window is held in place and how it looks . Thanks to every one that answered me .Thanks John
IMG_2550.JPG
IMG_2547.JPG
IMG_2548.JPG
IMG_2549.JPG
IMG_2546.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back