• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to fix a cracked block, easy also

I'm all for saving something that should be saved. Also, i've not had to try any of this, so knock on wood!! But, I have trouble believing that anything that adds stress like a pipe taper plug can be a permanent cure for something that cracked under stress. Granted the previous stress is gone, assuming these are ice cracked blocks you are working on. But would'nt the block still need baked to stress relieve and then re-machine literally everything to be usable again?? I see the hyperlink to FABO.... I'll head over for more reading on this subject. TIA, Lefty71

Look u lock and stitch. way better explanation. The plugs are special kind of like a upward thread and it pulls it together. I know hard to explain.

Look u lock and stitch. way better explanation. The plugs are special kind of like a upward thread and it pulls it together. I know hard to explain.
This is the method I use to repair cracks. The longest crack so far is a 17" one in a '54 GM 235 block.

Where do you get the plugs?

i had a 440 block crack due to freeze . had the block pined. look like small nails made of soft mettle and an epoxy never leaked. ran for 5-7 years sold the engine and the new owner never had a problem.

Would it work on this?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
HEMI BLOCK.jpg

I've watched videos on lock n stitch crack repair and it has to be some sort of black magic wizardry.

Dang....overdrive the blower too much? :D
Careless second owner! Had some parts stolen so took to a garage he was friends with. They pulled the engine put it and the car outside in back. He threw plastic sheet over it. After a couple of years plastic gone two cylinders full of water froze. When went to buy the car agreed to pay him $800 for the car and engine but had to check out the engine. Knocked price down to $500 and a friend offered a complete Hemi for $1,000. This was in 1978.

Auto Transport Service
Back