• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to fix my paint job / original paint still available?

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:14 AM
Reaction score
Hi,

My charger is in the shop right now getting made ready to be registered in germany.
They do everything from regular service to complete restaurations.

Well my car has some paint issues like surface rust on the hood, passenger side door paint slightly off and
smaller spots around the car.

I want to keep the original paint and just correct it to a level where the average joe on the street wont notice imperfections.

They told me its an old paint with different indegrients than modern day paint.
According to them you cant mix modern day paint with the old original one if you want good results.
If i wanted a good result i would either have to source the original old factory paint or what they would suggest me to do perform a 15k paint job.

Well of course thats what they suggest me to do :D but i wont do it.

- 15k for a paint job is just insane, despite might the price for a high end job in my area. i dont know actually.
- This car is a daily driver so it would depreciate pretty fast
- It would not be the original paint anymore
- Everything behind that shiny paint would still be 50 years old unrestored
- I could do lots of useful mods for 15 grand if i wanted

Anyway.
What do you guys think about the statement from the shop about you cant mix new paint with the old original paint?
And if this is true, can i still buy the original paint with the original ingredients? if so where?
Can anyone tell me how my color is exactly called?
I've attached pictures of my fender tag and the car, also a few imperfections so you know which exact color it is.

IMG_0198.JPG IMG_0210.JPG LS_396507_4072422.jpg LS_396507_4072457.jpg LS_396507_4072486.jpg

my thoughts are, it's only original once. leave it and drive the wheels off it , cracked stripe and all. i think it's awesome. if you paint just one area or panel it's going to look worse. that paint can be matched in a single stage. the stripe would have to be sanded off. no reason you couldn't get a decent driver paint job for less than a couple grand if you do the prep yourself.

Car looks awesome to me! A little patina but not too much.

I agree it would be impossible to correct those areas without it standing out. Unless your car will see a lot of weather I’d leave it that way.

Your car had enamel paint applied from the factory, unlike General Motors which used lacquer in some factories up to the early 1980s. You shouldn't have problems with recoating with new enamel.

According to the Fender Tag (see first post) it looks like my car is paintend in F5 Medium Green Poly, right?
What i found is this:
https://shop.thecoatingstore.com/19...oly-F5-Car-Kit-1969-DODGE-CHARGER-F5-CKIT.htm
We do not make or offer for sale PPG products. However, our unique business model allows us to make paints that match and offer comparable coverage and durability as the PPG "DBC" or "Global" basecoat at prices often 1/3rd the price.

What do you think about that?
So the original paint is from PPG? Do they still make it?

But looking in the sales brochure there is no paint called "Medium Green Poly"
https://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/dodge/69chg/bilder/6.jpg

If it's a daily driver in Germany it will see a lot of weather, so I would leave the paint (it looks pretty good to me and adds to the coolness of the car), but give it a good wax job every 3 months. I'd be more concerned with the underside and inside the chassis rails and body panels. I would clean everything as best as possible and then spray everything liberally with Morris Ankor Wax to prevent rust (there's probably surface rust already but this stuff seals it - it's used by all the classic car guys in the UK). Your car looks awesome by the way.

The second row (down to up) of my fender tag.
F5 C6G F8 801 965050

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=87
Decodes to:

F5: Exterior Color
C6G: Trim - Charger, Vinyl Bucket Seats, Green
F8: Int. Door Frames
801: Build Date: August 01
965050: Order number

So i guess F5 is the exterior color?

So do you think this:
https://shop.thecoatingstore.com/19...oly-F5-Car-Kit-1969-DODGE-CHARGER-F5-CKIT.htm

is the original F5 Medium Green Metallic (so called in the brochure) despite they call it "Medium Green Poly"?
Or should i stay away from that paint?

Is it true that the original paint was made by PPG?
If so do they still make it?

The thing is my passenger door color is already a slightly different shade of green anyway.
So i could let them paint the door and see how it looks. If im happy with the result fix the rest, if not leave as is and just conservate the car so it wont rust.

PPG may or may not have been the supplier. I think that Chrysler put out specs and bought from different makers. You could have DuPont or Ditzer or Rinshed-Mason, and different assembly plants could use different products as well.

PPG may or may not have been the supplier. I think that Chrysler put out specs and bought from different makers. You could have DuPont or Ditzer or Rinshed-Mason, and different assembly plants could use different products as well.

Are these specs available somewhere?
If so are there some companys who could still make it on special order?

You need a bodyman with grey hair. :D ppg , dupont , both are just fine for what you wish to do. your bodyman should dumb down the color a touch with a drip or two of white to age it a bit. shoot the hood and see if you get lucky. If its off to far shoot the fender tops back masking off the top , sharp body line on the fender.

The rear stripe will pose more of a challenge. Outline that stripe with tape then start working on removal of the white decal,
eraser wheel will cook that old paint under the decal so leave it in the tool box. light heat from a heat gun { LIGHT HEAT } just enough the loosen the adhesive use a couple old credit cards to peel it No razor blades. If you do cook a patch just remember the new decal will sit right back on top.
Work like that just takes time, and it needs to look old once done.
Also , nice car man !

ppg , dupont , both are just fine for what you wish to do.

Do they still sell the F5 color? If so do you have a link?
Or does the painter have to mix it out of different base colors? (e.g. from ppg, dupont or similar companys)

Edit:

What do you think about that? Do you think it would work too?
But would have to reconfirm with the store if its really the correct paint im looking for.

Yes a good paint supplier should have no trouble mixing your F5.
Body shop mix banks are set up for base clear mixing so your bodyman will end up going to a supplier and having them mix it.
I hope he will have a little white enamel on hand to dumb the green down a bit, New paint on hood will look darker than the rest of the top side surface.
Start off getting a 1/2 pint mixed then do a spray out and check the match, If you guys are happy get a pint mixed and get it shot.
you can play with that 1/2 pint , just keep track of , record, any tinting you do so once you hit it you can duplicate it.

I want to keep the original paint and just correct it to a level where the average joe on the street wont notice imperfections.

**** for the average Joe.
Who cares what other people think?

I wouldn't touch anything at all.
The best survivors are: untouched

BTW: there is no rust on the hood the primer just turned reddish.

Carsten

They told me its an old paint with different indegrients than modern day paint.
According to them you cant mix modern day paint with the old original one if you want good results.
If i wanted a good result i would either have to source the original old factory paint or what they would suggest me to do perform a 15k paint job.
These guys don't sound very competent at painting cars unless of course they're into "Paint by numbers"
Best you don't let them touch the paint at all if they cannot blend and make it look like the paint has not been tampered with.

These guys don't sound very competent at painting cars unless of course they're into "Paint by numbers"
Best you don't let them touch the paint at all if they cannot blend and make it look like the paint has not been tampered with.

I got the info that in germany you can legally only buy 2k and water based paint.
Maybe that's the issue? :)

Those guys are running a paint shop and i've seen the owners corvette c2 which he painted.
Looks good, but than again im not an expert.

Is the enamel paint i need for my car still available to buy in the united states?
As i said in germany you can only buy 2k and water based paint according to what i have been told yesterday. :)

On Tuesday morning i will be in the shop again and it would be good if i know everything i need to know about the paint until then. :D

You've already supplied a link to The Coating Store, why not email them and see if that F5 colour is available in what you need? Otherwise, BASF and most other manufactureres sells single stage paint in the USA.

Well i meant if you can still buy enamel paint in the usa in general. not pre mixed F5.
If so i was thinking about buying the base colors needed so they can mix it up individually for my car.

This way i think they would have more possibilities to match the aged paint on my car.
If i buy a premixed paint they can only add a little white to make it look older.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back