• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to Hurst Pistol Grip?

Ritchie Valens

Local time
1:57 PM
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I am in the process of replacing my old worn out 4-speed Hurst Pistol Grip on my '71 Roadrunner. As you can see from the pictures, the lens on the old one has a cracked bezel... the older grip was a pretty faded too.

I was able to replace the grip as you can see, but I can't seem to figure out how the lens stays inserted into the bezel? The old grip's bezel looks like it was somehow pressed around the lens.

So, I left the new grip on there with the old lens and bezel until I can figure out how to secure the new lens into place on the new bezel. Oh, and please go easy on me... this is my first ever classic car, let alone a MOPAR. I'm new to the game but I'm a quick learner! Thank you everyone!

~Ritchie

Hurst1.jpeg
Hurst3.jpeg

Hurst2.jpeg

Its held in with double sided tape. I'm surprised the new one didn't have any on it !!

So how do you plan to attach the new bezel? Originals had the metal peened over to retain them.

I would remove the plastic handles and then pop out the old lens so you can see how the bezel is attached to the shift handle. It's peened on but you might be able tap it off with a hammer. I used jb weld to attach the new bezel to the shift handle on mine. When the jb weld is dry then you can attach the lens to bezel with double sided tape.

Here's an older post where someone shows how they did it.

So how do you plan to attach the new bezel? Originals had the metal peened over to retain them.
Hey Stanton and Sam69sat,

Thank you both very much for the info! I was not aware the original metal being peened over the bezel!

So yeah, it looks like I'm just gonna put on the new grips and keep the old bezel on there. It's really not that bad and I was more looking to replace it out of boredom. It does have some inner cracks but I suppose I'm gonna hafta live with that.... I wasn't looking to make a major project out of this!

That's what I get for trying to fix something that ain't broke! haha

~Ritchie

Auto Transport Service
Back