How to identify B/E-Body firewall mounting plates, manual vs. power | 1962-1974

Brakes, Steering & Suspension

1. cudak888

cudak888 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:13 AM
    Last night, I wound up doing a few forum searches, trying to figure out if I needed to change my firewall bracket for my disc brake (non-power) conversion (I was also inspired to do so after reading this thread).

After sorting through all the info I found, I realized that the firewall plate variants are really quite easy to understand, provided all the information is in one place, separated by year. This should make sense even if you're building something not to factory spec, as the plates are determined primarily by year and whether you are using a booster or not (with exceptions for 426 Gen II Hemi applications); the choice of booster and master cylinder is a separate affair.

Seeing as we're not all savants on the subject, I compiled everything I could find and assembled the following chart below. For the sake of identification, I copied a few photos that I found here that demonstrate the differences, and credited the sources (hope you fellows don't mind), as I'm not lucky enough to own every single plate made.

Would also be glad to edit and update this as more information comes out. One of the things that I can't find yet is a photo of the bellcrank on a power brake-equipped '65 (which I'd assume are rather unusual to begin with), and I need to snap a photo of the manual brake linkage on my '68.

Mods, feel free to consider making this a sticky if you see fit.

1962-1965 B-Body:

Manual booster at left, power booster at right. Power booster requires bellcrank. Not reproduced. | Photo: moparmarks:
    [​IMG]

1966-1970 B-Body:

NOTE: 426 HEMI applications use manual master cylinder firewall plates and no bellcrank; the bellcrank is built into the booster for Gen II HEMI variants (photos shown in last section).

Manual master cylinder + power brake boosters on HEMI 426 applications only. Original shown. Not reproduced. | Photo: challengersteve
    [​IMG]

Power booster bracket for all applications excluding 426 HEMI, requires bell crank:
    Original, shown from reverse side | [URL="http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/68-stud-plate-4-speed.14135/#post-104949"Photo: 69bee[/URL]:
    [​IMG]
    • '66-70 Power booster reproductions:
      • Version #1, shown with bellcrank:

[​IMG]
      • Version #2, shown with bellcrank. Only apparent difference are the two extra holes. (possible Photoshop):
    [​IMG]

1971-1974 B-Body + 1970-1974 E-body:

Manual master cylinder bracket + power booster bracket for HEMI 426 applications only, shown at right.
    Original | Photo: moparmarks:
    [​IMG]

Reproduction by Dr. Diff | Photo - Dr. Diff :
    [​IMG]

Power booster bracket for all applications excluding HEMI 426. Requires bell crank for proper operation.
    Original | Photo: eBay, wolf-pack68
    [​IMG]

Reproduction (shown rotated, from rear) | NOTE: Some sites show a stock image of this part, but show it six holes that don't appear to line up with the original. These places have Photoshopped the '66-70 power bracket to look like this.
    [​IMG]

Pedal rods, bellcranks, and other things you should see to know:

Manual brake rod (1968 shown):
    [​IMG]1968 Mopar manual brake booster rod by cudak888, on Flickr

Power booster w/bellcrank for 1966+ applications, bellcrank pivots from bottom. Note: I believe 1965 is inverted and pivots from the top, but have not found a photo of one | Photo: moparmarks:
    [​IMG]

Power booster without bellcrank - I'm not sure how accurate this is. It looks identical to the non-power setup, but this is what a 426 HEMI booster would look like from inside the car. Also may apply to some aftermarket applications that have built-in bellcranks on the booster, like the HEMI booster | Photo: twecomm:
    [​IMG]

Standard power brake bellcrank (excluding 426 HEMI) | Photo: moparmarks:
    [​IMG]

HEMI 426 (factory Gen II) booster - note manual brake plate mount and built-in bellcrank | Photo: Chattacuda:
    [​IMG]

That's it - six plates with eight unique factory applications, spread over three generations of B-bodies. Not really that complicated.

-Kurt

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 4
    • dan juhasz

dan juhasz FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
      Great job. Maybe you can answer a question for me. I to have added power brakes to my 67 RT. I used and had restored all genuine parts. There was a spring attached to the bell crank rod but I couldn't figure out what the other end of the spring attached to or why it was needed. Any pictures of that?

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
      • 440+6

440+6 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
        That spring goes on the notch on the crank then straight up to a hole on the steering column support, I have one on mine and I believe it's just an anti rattle thing.

• Like Like x 2
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • dan juhasz

dan juhasz FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
          Thanks I will take another look this weekend

• Like Like x 1
          • moparmarks

moparmarks FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
            8:13 AM
            Wow I didn't know about this thread. Glad to my pics being used.

• moparmarks

Local Time:
            Well poo. I had a 65 Satellite with power brakes but didn't get a pic of the linkage.

• cudak888

Local Time:
            Hope you don't mind, I chose them as they showed the differences as clearly as possible and didn't want to dilute the resource with poor reference pics.

Incidentally, I should note that the "Power booster w/o bellcrank" image should really read "Power booster with external (not under-dash) bellcrank." And the photo is misleading, as the two nuts surrounding the boot around the rod just give away the fact that the rod goes straight into a master, which means this is a non-power setup. Still, roughly the same look.

I'd love it if anyone could share pics of that '65 power setup for this reference thread...

-Kurt

• moparmarks

Local Time:
            Nope, don't mind at all. I post pics for you all to use. Share the knowledge. Love your thread.:thumbsup:

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
            • -Z-

-Z- Well-Known Member

Local Time:
              7:13 AM
              Does anybody happen to know the pedal ratio for the brake?

I have a 69 road runner that did not have power brakes, and I installed the Ram man’s power booster with the Willwood tandem master cylinder. Willwood discs in the front and stock drums in the back. I’m having a very difficult time getting the brake pedal to properly work. It’s extremely stiff, and has a very short travel distance.

After calling Willwood they believe that it’s my pedal ratio. I just posted on another thread, the distance they said between the pivot hole to the bell crank should be around 4 inches for power brakes mine is only one and 3/4.

• cudak888

Local Time:
              Found your thread: https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...er-6-1-hemi-swap.108958/page-3#post-911079064

Probably better to put all the info there, or start a brake-specific thread here. Have responded in your thread with a list of six things to provide.

-Kurt

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
            • redddd23

redddd23 New Member

Local Time:
              9:13 AM
              My 68 charger needs a mounting plate.... From your pics I will be using this one. Now I just need the clip

IMG_2214.JPG IMG_2254.JPG

• Cornpatch MO

Cornpatch MO Well-Known Member

Local Time:
              9:13 AM
              The Bell crank rod has a groove( or notch ) for one end of the stiff coil spring to locate on. Mine was broken, but I was able to find one in a hardware store ( ACE ?) spring assortment. It took a little modification to fit right. The steering column support has a couple of little notches in it. You can put the spring end through one notch and hook it over the metal that is between the two notches, allowing the end of the spring eye to come through the second notch.

I too, wondered about that springs function. Any other possibilities other than just an anti rattle? possibly to reduce bushing wear? .......................MO

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
              By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.