• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to Rebuild a A833 TRansmission- You Tube Video

Dean Prevolos

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:35 PM
Reaction score
I came across this video on youtube and watched it over the last 2 days. I wanted to find a video that would give me an insight as to how to change the bearings in a A833 18 spline transmission. I found this to be very informative, with "simple" tools and a detailed approach.
Now this guy has completed this task many times as you will see. His demeanor is so methodical and he knows the entire jigsaw puzzle of retainer clips, gears and fasteners that he doesn't have to keep track of what he removed or in which order, etc. HE JUST KNOWS WHERE EVERYTHING GOES FROM EXPERIENCE, which is very good for an instructional video. Again, I have never done this before and found the video very informative. Hope it helps another forum member. see link below:

Hypnotizing and yet cured my insomnia. This really is a great resource tho. Thanks for posting.

Hi Dean,

More than 15 years ago someone encouraged me, saying, “you can do it”. That’s all it took to believe in myself. You are on your way.

azmoparboy

Hi Dean,

More than 15 years ago someone encouraged me, saying, “you can do it”. That’s all it took to believe in myself. You are on your way.

azmoparboy
I hope so, this guy makes it look reasonable as long as you have the right rebuild kit, replacment bearings and can remember the order of reassembly. I guess I will wear out the YOUTUBE video! Thanks for responding

Hypnotizing and yet cured my insomnia. This really is a great resource tho. Thanks for posting.

Yes it is hypnotizing. I watched another video from Motor Trend and he has all of the parts on a table, starts telling you what he is going to do and then the video goes into high gear, time lapse blurr and it is finished in a couple of minutes. What does that teach you? Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did.

Suggest U get the book by Jamie Passon, has excellent information and photos of the A833 rebuild process....

Just my $0.02... :thumbsup:

Having rebuilt my 18 spl 833 , I would like to add another source. Detroit Muscle 2017, episode 6. You can purchase the DVD which was very helpful as it was a little more clearer in explanation on certain things. I also used Jaime Passon's book EXTENSIVELY....very concise and step by step....if you're going to do your own rebuild , use a highlighter and colored pens to keep track in your book and go for it!....I bought parts from Passon and Brewer's...when you're done you'll have a much better understanding of how it works...and a helluva feeling of accomplishment....good luck

What a great video! Thanks for posting. I also have a copy Jamie Passon's book.

I had my A833 rebuilt by a transmission shop recently. I was unsure of my skill and confidence. My new question or problem is: how I install the clutch fork, clutch, z bar, shift linkages, etc?

I've looked through Passon's book and the '64 Plymouth service manual but I have not been lucky. Does anybody have resources or info on how to install the other parts?

Edit: I just found the clutch portion in the 64 service manual

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back