• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to remove 66 satellite instrument cluster

66Satellite_in_NC

Local time
2:41 AM
Reaction score
I have a few bulbs out and want to check/replace. How do you get the instrument cluster out?

Thanks

Bill

1. Sitting in the seat you will see there are screws around the inside of the instrument bezel. They all need to be removed.
2. The speedo cable needs to be removed from underneath.

You 'may' be able to pull it forward enough at this point to reach the bulbs. If not, you will likely need to unplug the headlight switch, wiper switch, etc. to get it further out.

I had to actually lower the steering column in mine to 'roll' it forward and out. That required:
1. Removing the small dash late below it
2. The two nuts beneath the plate...they hold it to the column support.
3. and loosen the bolts at the firewall so the column will lower some.

It doesn't need to drop but an inch or so at the dash to get the clearance to get the cluster out.

This may seem like a lot, but it's not that much work.

On my 66, I didn't lower the column or remove anything else but I don't remember if I removed the speedometer cable. If you do it this way, things are a bit tight but it can be done but keep in mine that once you remove all the screws, you will have no ground anymore. The lights may work but everything else will be 'nuts' and won't work right. Took me awhile to figure that one out....

Thanks guys, will be looking at them tomorrow with the above help!

If I remember right I had to drop column an inch or two... Carefully mark position of column on brackets so steering coupler adjustment stays correct...also put back any shims that fall from column mount bolt/studs. Headlight switch disconnected at connector, speedometer cable disconnected, climate control bezel removed then two more screws than push controls through opening in gauge cluster. Harness to pins on back of gauge cluster had to be removed. These break easily be careful. You can also add an extra ground when the gauge cluster is out. My harness was replaced so maybe I had less slack than you have in yours. Maybe you won't have to disconnect your harness to get to bulbs. You can reach up and around and replace a lot of the bulbs with the unit in if you are dexterous and patient enough..they twist in and out

Update, I found that my cluster was only held in with 4 screws, I will be trying to get more by taking the ones I have to a hardware store to match them up. But I have a problem with getting the cluster out with the air/heat control piece attached.

I cannot get the slider knob (?) for the cool/heat settings off. Not sure if you have to just pull really hard or if you have to get something behind the little knob and push in so it will release from the slider rod? Any body have a clue to what I can do to get the thumb knob off to get the cluster pulled far enough to check the bulbs?

Thanks for all the help so far.

Bill

I know this is a very old thread - but the temp knob is held in place by an allen screw on the bottom of it.

Auto Transport Service
Back