• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to remove power steering reservoir?

Heimedw

Local time
3:41 PM
Reaction score
Just wondering how to remove the power steering reservoir from my 64 polara? Looks like it must press on? Is there a special tool required? Also when ordering the seal kit it ask if the shaft is hex/slotted or normal? I'm not sure what that means.

This is what I used to pull off the pulley.

IMG_4874.JPG

the kit I ordered. Check my thread at about post#709 for some info when I replaced the seals.
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/can-of-rusty-worms.104526/page-36#post-910771302

443979-31891c7be8efdf60d47b086f7ffe3c1d.jpg

Last edited:
First the brackets must all be removed. There is sometime 2 bolts at the rear.

The reservoir just pushes on, but by now it is stuck. It seals with a large o-ring around the pump to can and a flat gasket in the rear where the bolts go through.

Gently pry on the reservoir where the hi pressue hose screws in. Go gently to get it loose, once it starts moving then it will come off.

Somebody may have use too much sealer and it could be stuck real tight.

I don't know about 64, but you can get a rebuilt power steering pump with reservoir for a 1968. I just got one and it was less than $60 exchange. .....................MO

Auto Transport Service
Back