• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to remove rust

65AFX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:44 AM
Reaction score
I bought a couple of rusty 4 X 8 steel plates to make a welding table. I was going to sandblast them, but it would take weeks and a lot of sand using my small harbor freight blaster. Plus its real messy. So I decided to try Vinegar. I went to the $1 store and bought 5 gallons of cleaning vinegar. I got the loose rust off with my 7-1/2" grinder with a wire wheel. I built a dam around the edge with weather stripping. I then filled up the plate with vinegar. Let it set for a few days. Every so often I would run a hand wire brush over the surface. Had to keep adding vinegar as some did evaporate. Then I cleaned it off with my pressure washer. Came out nice. I am surprised vinegar actually worked.

IMG_8314.JPG IMG_8344.JPG

Easiest way to remove rust is to sell that damn ford right now.. Kidding light surface rust you can use vinegar and water solution. lol i grazed over your post.. My bad You are giving a how to, not a how do I? looks great

Yep. I've used it a lot on parts that have nooks & crannies that are hard to get to with sanders, or wire wheels.

Lysol toilet bowl cleaner

Let it sit for 10 mins. wash it off with water.....three times!
Spray on WD

Simple, cheap and you probably have in your house

I tried Lysol Toilet cleaner today on my other rusty sheet of steel. It didn't do anything. So i'm cleaning it with vinegar like I did the first one.

Auto Transport Service
Back