• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how to remove windshield chrome trim pieces?

440beep

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:58 AM
Reaction score
I'm having my 69 Super Bee windshield removed on Wednesday, but the glass company needs me to remove the chrome trim pieces first. Can someone walk me through how to remove these windshield chrome trim pieces? Do I simply pry them up, or is there a special method to getting them off please?

TIA for the help.

And where do I get this tool from?

IMG_0612.jpgI bought this tool at napa, and it worked just fine on my car. don't have the part number for it but there was only two differen't kinds, this one was actually for gm, ford. I tried the chrysler one first and didn't seem to work for me. Hope this helps. Darrell

Is the tool just inserted under the chrome trim pieces and then pry up?

This is the one I use. Works pretty good.

- - - Updated - - -

Is the tool just inserted under the chrome trim pieces and then pry up?

You pry to the side

Attachments

• p538.jpg
    p538.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 1,071
  • moldclip.jpg
    moldclip.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 3,364
Here's the tool I have.

trim tool.jpg
The hook on the lower right is inserted behind the clip then you give it a little twist and a bit of a lift & then the trim pops off the clip. I bought this one at Princess Auto here in Canada, but I'm sure there are others available at any auto parts store. This is one of those things that are hard to describe, but quite simple to do. When I did the Sat it took me less than 5 mins to pop the trim off the windshield & backlight in less than 10 minutes, and I had never done it before. There are a few videos on Youtube, just Google Windshield trim removal.

I'm having my 69 Super Bee windshield removed on Wednesday, but the glass company needs me to remove the chrome trim pieces first. Can someone walk me through how to remove these windshield chrome trim pieces? Do I simply pry them up, or is there a special method to getting them off please?

TIA for the help.

have you considered hiring and off duty employee to come and do it all for you instead of a glass company to save some bucks on the remove and re-install? thanks what i'm thinking of and just wondering.

have you considered hiring and off duty employee to come and do it all for you instead of a glass company to save some bucks on the remove and re-install? thanks what i'm thinking of and just wondering.

Tallhair, that will save you in the short run, but if there is a problem, you really don't have much recourse later on... .02

Tallhair, that will save you in the short run, but if there is a problem, you really don't have much recourse later on... .02

Thanks MarPar. I have two questions.

I had the RR front windshield replaced in the mid 90's and i asked for and got a tinted window with a 'correct' marked windshield glass which IIR supposedly cost around $450+ for my insurance company but they did it. Does anyone recall factory replacement correct markings being sold in the 90's? I don't remember the specifics but was being advertised back then and don't know if that's still going on, was bullshit, or not.

if a glass company broke that would it be replaced by them at no charge to me if not what benefit is it to pay full price to a glass company to do it?

Maybe i was scammed on the original replacement or actually my insurance company since they paid.

if a glass company broke that would it be replaced by them at no charge to me if not what benefit is it to pay full price to a glass company to do it?

i can respond to your second question...yes, if the installer breaks the glass during installation while he's on the clock, they will pay for it. DAMHIK lol.

now if you get the guy to do it on the side, you may save $100 (which is not small potatoes btw), but what if 3 months down the line you're driving in your baby and get caught in a rainstorm and the windshield begins to leak? then what can you do? call the guy?? you could ask him for a guarantee-written or otherwise-but he could be working elsewhere and you'll probably pay him cash anyways, so they're really be no record of the transaction. :icon_axe:

in this case, i would get 'er done thru the company and have some piece of mind for later down the road.

The window removal/installation cost is not overly concerning for me. My concern is being able to get the chrome trim pieces off safely and not screwing something up.

The window removal/installation cost is not overly concerning for me. My concern is being able to get the chrome trim pieces off safely and not screwing something up.

nah, the removal is the easy part; puttin' em back on is the trickier part...just gotta be careful and line it up right before you snap them back in.

Ok, thanks for the reassurance. Will give it a go on Saturday.

MarPar, where at in IL are you? Anywhere near Chicago?

cool. let us know how it goes!

if somethin dont seem right or whatever, jump on the forum, somebody's always here to answer questions!

Im out in Lombard. sorta close...lol

ive been out by you a couple times...i went to a show at Simon Sez a few years back

Last edited:
i can respond to your second question...yes, if the installer breaks the glass during installation while he's on the clock, they will pay for it. DAMHIK lol.

in this case, i would get 'er done thru the company and have some piece of mind for later down the road.

Thanks for the advice MarPar

Ended up not needing to remove the windshield; got the dash vents in with no problems!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back