• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to Set Tile the Correct Way

Dibbons

Local time
10:50 PM
Reaction score
We are preparing to tile a new home in Mexico. The concrete floor is pretty uneven. Unfortunately, I don't expect to find anyone here in Mexico that will follow the procedures demonstrated in the video (even after I show 'em the video).

Didn't watch video. They have cement that's very wet and it flows so when dry floor is flat.

That video is right on. As far as the uneven concrete you have as a base? They have self leveling products that can help with preparation, as written above. As far as using the mortar, as some do, to try and level it? I’ve seen some guys with years of experience, who can do it. When I moved to Arizona 6 years ago, I thought I would see great tile work. Honestly, I’ve seen very little good tile work. I’ve got two guys I use, who were comparable to the six, I had in Illinois. Unfortunately once it’s set and grouting is done, it’s too late. Check out their past jobs, look at them, listen for hollow spots when you walk, take a Home Depot or equivalent bucket, and slide it across the floor, to check for ledges. Take a plastic handle screwdriver and tap the floor in numerous areas, you’ll hear the hollow spots immediately. Good luck sir.

Great video, but at this point you’re scaring them off because they know now you’ll be watching and inspecting them holding them to warranty. That’s my guess .

When the tile guy comes in and he looks over and walks over the floor.
The guy who tells you without any input from you that the 1st thing he needs to do is level the floor.
that's the one.

Great video, but at this point you’re scaring them off because they know now you’ll be watching and inspecting them holding them to warranty. That’s my guess .
Yes sir that’s probably true but, if that’s what they do, he doesn’t want them anyway. We did a bathroom for a designer who we do a lot of work with. She heard about this tile guy who her neighbor raved about. She asked me if she could try him on her $19,000 steam shower. I said sure, it’s your bathroom but, I will watch over him. I’m always looking for more subs. She wanted a lower curb than the standard 4” high blocks normally used. The guy told her he couldn’t cut the block because they would break. She called me, I went there, grabbed the blocks, cut them down, (took about 15 minutes) took them inside and said. Do you see anything broken? The next day I went to check it out, the prep was horrendous, liner was not installed correctly, drain was set wrong, the mud bed was not pitched properly. Needless to say, that was his last day. Tile is like bodywork, the prep is the most important thing. It can look nice for a while but that’s just the surface.

Yes sir that’s probably true but, if that’s what they do, he doesn’t want them anyway. We did a bathroom for a designer who we do a lot of work with. She heard about this tile guy who her neighbor raved about. She asked me if she could try him on her $19,000 steam shower. I said sure, it’s your bathroom but, I will watch over him. I’m always looking for more subs. She wanted a lower curb than the standard 4” high blocks normally used. The guy told her he couldn’t cut the block because they would break. She called me, I went there, grabbed the blocks, cut them down, (took about 15 minutes) took them inside and said. Do you see anything broken? The next day I went to check it out, the prep was horrendous, liner was not installed correctly, drain was set wrong, the mud bed was not pitched properly. Needless to say, that was his last day. Tile is like bodywork, the prep is the most important thing. It can look nice for a while but that’s just the surface.
Agree, personally I would attempt it myself love to learn an educate myself. I’m in construction in San Fran . If things are not done correctly or I notice a flaw I will have them fix it. I was just stating IMO what I thought was the issue. I would keep moving on till you get the warm and fuzzy from the rite crew.

Auto Transport Service
Back