• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to weld in a quarter panel skin ??

acii

Local time
11:49 AM
Reaction score
Hy all..

my 70 Charger need some new quarter panels on both sides...

I am just asking myself where to cut out the old ones... ??

Pls remember that i only have the skins available and not the quarter panels which goes up til the backwindow..

Pls have a look on the attached pics for better understanding.... so just need to know where do the cut above or below the edge of the panel
On the pics you see a 68 Charger (as an example) which a cut / welding above the edge..

Big thx for ur feedback
CU
Achim

5555555.png 4444444.png

Leave as much original metal as possible. If your quarters are only rusty at the bottom, just use that section.

upload_2020-7-4_5-36-12.jpeg

Hy ....
actually my panels are at the bottom side rusty.... at the top side no issue at all...

the rusty area see on the pic....

Unfortunately i dont have any pics with me about my car ...that you can see it originally.

66666.png

basically i would like to keep the original edges and would weld in the new panel like see on the pic....
I guess this would be the easiest way !! ???

7777.png

If that mid-body line is good, I wouldn't mess with it.

I'd also not mess with the marker, either.

I'd also make a rough cut first, then attach the patch panel over the top and cut both at the same time, guaranteeing an exact match cut to weld up.

If that mid-body line is good, I wouldn't mess with it.

I'd also not mess with the marker, either.

I'd also make a rough cut first, then attach the patch panel over the top and cut both at the same time, guaranteeing an exact match cut to weld up.
YY1 is totally correct. Lots of great vids on YouTube on this as well...make 100% sure you're confident in that second cut.

alright.... thx for ur adive....so than i am on the right way.

THe approach with the second cut is clear for me...

So after i have cleaned up the panel i will check the condition of the mid body line.... depending on that line, i will deccide how much i have to cut out....

For my liking this mid body line and gap dimensions makes charger looking done in the right way or not :)

CU
Achim

Did you catch what I meant about the marker opening?

Easier to leave it attached and cut and weld the new patch around it that try to make sure a new marker hole is in the correct position up and down and front to back.
(unless it's way off from the factory or has been quarter patched before)

Auto Transport Service
Back