• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Were New Vehicle Orders Developed?

Dibbons

Local time
11:30 AM
Reaction score
I understand a customer special ordering a new vehicle to his/her liking. However, who decides and puts together all the equipment/options/colors of all those millions of vehicles that just roll off the assembly line without having been adopted beforehand by someone? I guess the same question applies to current production vehicles. Just curious what system(s) are put in place. Any (honest) car salespeople on the forum? Thank you.

scale model.jpeg

I know around here the dealership will order vehicle stock according to their experience in what sells. If a customers wants more or less options the dealers look at the inventory of other dealerships and can trade stock as needed.

I know around here the dealership will order vehicle stock according to their experience in what sells. If a customers wants more or less options the dealers look at the inventory of other dealerships and can trade stock as needed.
That is the way it has always been. At one time and maybe it still happens to keep assembly lines at full production they will still make cars with colors and options that they predict will sell. Then the dealers would get phone calls from their respective corporate sale manager begging dealers to take cars. Sometimes they would use that as leverage in tight build times. They would build what you want but you need to take two or three of these. There were lots of other scenarios. Being a past dealership owner what I just stated is the way it went.

Back in the day, our dealer in State College used to stock 383 Road Runners in bulk, mostly in blue or green, about a 50/50 split between automatics and 4-speeds. He picked them based an what he could sell quickly to Penn State students, and local farm kids. But he always kept a few outrageous cars on site to draw showroom traffic. My ex brother-in-law, who ran the service department, drove a '69 Hemi Road Runner as a company car, a year later, a '70 Hemi 'Cuda.

Another '69 Hemi Road Runner, R4 red, with buckets and console, occupied the showroom for nearly two years before it sold. But it drew a lot of guys who ended up leaving with a 383 car.

buttmobile.jpg

The ordering process seems like it was a lot different. A really good salesman knew how to work the order form many things could be created. Don't think that's possible today.

The ordering process seems like it was a lot different. A really good salesman knew how to work the order form many things could be created. Don't think that's possible today.
Baby Blue, my '68 GTX, was a product of that process. Original owner went to the dealer to buy a Sport Satellite. He was a middle aged guy who had no interest in high performance. The salesman pointed out that the GTX came with an automatic transmission as standard equipment, optional on the cheaper car, also wider wheels and larger tires. Mr. Bender then special ordered a new GTX, bare bones to meet his budget, selecting a sure grip rear, headrests, and an am radio as his options. He drove it as a family car with his wife and two kids for six years, before selling it to my friend Bob Miller for $600. I added the magnum 500s 16 years later.

IMG_0086.JPG

Last edited:
Baby Blue, my '68 GTX, was a product of that process. Original owner went to the dealer to buy a Sport Satellite. He was a middle aged guy who had no interest in high performance. The salesman pointed out that the GTX came with an automatic transmission as standard equipment, optional on the cheaper car, also wider wheels and larger tires. Mr. Bender then special ordered a new GTX, totally stripped down to meet his budget. He drove it as a family car with his wife and two kids for six years, before selling it to my friend Bob Miller for $600. I added the magnum 500s 16 years later.

View attachment 1113382

Oh mama is that beautiful!! Then again, Im biased. lol

IMG_0072.jpg

(that is my buddy's motor scooter)

The main difference between then and now
is a customer could order individual
options. Now it's done via group packages.
My guess is it helps with production and
delivery times.

Auto Transport Service
Back