• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Would You Fix a Small Hole in Oil Pan (a la mexicana)?

Dibbons

Local time
4:11 PM
Reaction score
(Posting on FABO also) My Mexican neighbor asked me what kind of product (silicone, etc.) he could use to patch his oil pan (he hit something on the road today). I told him maybe a product that plugs small holes in fuel tanks might be suitable. Anyone know from experience what he could apply that would work? Thank you.

Had an old S10 that had rusted badly, and started to leak. Drained the oil, hit the area with a grinder, lightly, to take off the flake, a wipe with varsol, then just used two stage epoxy. waited an hour to dry , refilled the engine oil, and drove it for two more years.

If you do not have a welder, I would think some JB weld would heal up a hole if properly cleaned first.

If you do not have a welder, I would think some JB weld would heal up a hole if properly cleaned first.
Yep, JB Weld and perhaps a coin for strength. :)
I used to see a lot of gas tanks "fixed" that way back in the day....

Had a pin hole in a gas tank drained enough gas to stop leaking. Roughed it up the area JB Weld dried over night all good.

I have used JB weld on a low-slung 7 qt pan a couple of times. I didnt even drain it and it worked well.

Small hole? Drill and tap with appropriate sized tap, insert short screw and seal with ultra grey.

No welder? I would give JB weld a try. Drain the pan, clean the area with acetone. If it doesnt work, what are you out, $1? You would still have the JB for the next time.

Drain oil, jack front end to roll oil residue away, grind spot and mig it.

I've seen it done with plain old body filler, AKA Bondo. Not recommending, just sayin.

stuff it with guac and refried beans......... then using sour cream as glue, slap a tortilla over it :D

Auto Transport Service
Back