• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Howdy from PA

Decontrol215

Local time
7:17 PM
Reaction score
Hello All,
New guy here From Northeast PA. 31 Years old, I've actually lurked here for a bit before joining, mainly day dreaming about perhaps one day owning my own B-body. I think now I'm at a point in life where It can finally become a reality... So I figured I'd get my foot in the door a bit early. Start learning what I can before I actually pull the trigger on a car of my own. I work as a facilities mechanic in industrial manufacturing but admittedly have no auto experience outside very basic maintenance. Super excited to dive in and learn all I can. My tentative plan is to locate a rougher 69 Charger, take every component out and completely restore it from the ground up. Exactly how much I will be able to do myself and how much will need to be outsourced remains to be seen (i guess I will cross those bridges when I come to them ). Right now I for-see the body work going to someone else and I will tackle most of the mechanical/electrical side. If any of you PA guys (or anyone for that matter!) out there in TV land have any advice or wisdom you'd like to impart on me to begin my endeavor I would be forever grateful! With that said, I guess I'll leave you all with my first new guy question: In regards to the body, How rough is TOO rough when looking at cars to restore? Here in back country PA I see a surprising amount of these cars sitting seemingly intact in peoples yards. I'm operating under the assumption that all of these cars need trunk and floor panels by default, so If the frame rails look ok, what's some more obscure places to examine? I'm not overly worried about the drivetrain as I'll probably want to build something to my own specifications. Anyway this should be a wild ride in more way's than one, let's see what happens!

Thank's everyone for reading

welcome.png

*mumbling* Everybody wants a #$@% Charger....:rolleyes:

Welcome from central Pa. Didn't realize you could still find projects in Pa yards, haven't seen them down here in years.

Welcome to FBBO from VERmont! I grew up in a town named Northeast, PA 16428. Virtually every panel is available for the 69 Charger. The 'know how' is all available here. Skills, are on you. You will need tools, lots and lots of tools......lol. A dedicated space or two, for years. Oh....and loads of money too. Good luck. If you find a candidate and want an expert eye to evaluate it for you just ask a member here who lives nearby to come and help you out. Look up ^^ there in the top where it says members and click on it for a list and a map. Ghost.

Welcome from SE PA!

A couple of things to answer your first question. How rough is too rough? That's a very subjective question but I would say once you need a frame table to fix a car then you should definitely pass on that as a first restoration. So yes, I would say that all the key support areas need to be solid. Also look carefully at the cowl area - these can rust severely. Quarters, floors and trunk floors are par for the course and are almost always needed. Whatever you buy, make sure the car is COMPLETE. These cars will nickel and dime you to death with small parts.

One other consideration. If you are all set for a 69 Charger then so be it. But that is also one of the most expensive of all the B bodies. If you are open to others then you can step into a cool B body for a lot less money.

You in the town of North East? Lots of grape growers up there. I used to drive a semi during harvest season and haul down to the Pittsburgh area in the late 80's.
Good luck with you hunt for a 69 Charger.Save your money,your gonna need it !!

Welcome from Missouri!! Good luck!!

Welcome from Michigan. It's a great hobby!:drinks:

Welcome from Indiana, good luck with your search. Always start with the most solid and complete car that you can find/afford, you’ll be money and time ahead.

You in the town of North East? Lots of grape growers up there. I used to drive a semi during harvest season and haul down to the Pittsburgh area in the late 80's.
Good luck with you hunt for a 69 Charger.Save your money,your gonna need it !!

I grew up in a spot that was surrounded by Concorde grape rows as far as the eye could see in all directions. Grew up picking, tying back vines, trimming vines, setting posts, stringing wires... it's how we earned money for the coming school year. Along with picking all the other types of fruit grown there...idyllic childhood. Graduate of NEHS 1975.

Welcome from Michigan, the Motor City! If you're going to outsource the bodywork you better get a solid car to start with. Metal and paint work are time consuming and expensive! 440'

Welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

I'd say most of your assumptions are correct too

maybe look out west, or southwest
money spent on shipping or a plane ticket
cars from a much dryer climate, solid car
save a lil' more if need be, start with the best car you can afford
more complete the better, running driving even bet yet
every part starts adding up
less you have to buy & source, ship, the better
especially dash grill trim interior
let alone labor time & cost of big parts/panels
shipping costs will also kill a build budget