• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HP and HP2 what is the difference

Day shift, and afternoon shift. Thats the only difference I've ever heard. But I've seen quite a few folks searching for an elusive HP2 block because the HP block just won't do, lol.

Learn somethin' new every day..

I've had many 440 blocks, many different years. IMHO no difference between HP & non HP blocks other than the stamping. Also I agree with Source, I never saw any cylinder wall thickness difference between any year of block, only the difference from one block to another due to core shift or other casting differences. The ones I weighed also were nearly the same early or later.

A friend turned down a $100 non hp 69 bare block, some dude was selling. I said why? He said it was a low performance block??? I just shook my head and walked away

none built on third shift is kinda odd.

didn't I see "HP2" emblems?

probably didn't run a third shift in engine assembly....
Yes there were HP2 emblems they were used on the early 66 Hemi Belvederes... They were replaced with 426 Hemi emblems mid year... But that has nothing to do with the HP2 stamps on engine data pads...

From what I understand from people who worked there back in the day, a 3rd wasn't all that common for ChryCo.

In 62 Hoover sourced the industrial blocks for their high nickel content. I'm not sure if at some point all blocks were.

Auto Transport Service
Back