• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HP manifolds questions

BarnFind71RR

Local time
4:47 AM
Reaction score
After reading a fair bit on the forum, I picked up a used set of HP manifolds for my 383 in my 71 RR. The headers currently in place are badly rusted.
The manifolds I bought were blasted and then primed to inhibit rust. Is ceramic coating a good idea for these? If not, what should I do? I assume the primer has to go. What's the best way to remove it?
My heat riser is missing. Should it be replaced?
Does anyone have experience with Year One reproduction manifolds? Are they (the kit) a better alternative to working on mine?
Thanks in advance!

I just had mine painted after priming, good enough for me. The Year One repos I don't believe are correct enough for 71. As for the heat riser, here in FL we really don't need it. Even back in the day when I was growing up in MI we mostly wired them open.

I just had mine painted after priming, good enough for me. The Year One repos I don't believe are correct enough for 71. As for the heat riser, here in FL we really don't need it. Even back in the day when I was growing up in MI we mostly wired them open.

Thanks for the reply.
Forgive my ignorance: what's the purpose of the heat riser?

The heat riser is a butterfly valve operated by a bi-metallic spring. When the spring is cold the butterfly is twisted towards the closed position.
This created back-pressure on the exhaust gasses, a passage through the intake manifold allows the hot gasses to heat up the manifold and help vaporize the gas from the carb.
As the spring heats up the spring tries to grow larger and opens the valve.
I cut my valve out years ago, tapped the hole for 3/8" -18 bolt. Threaded in a bolt with a shank until it got fairly tight.
Then cut the bolt off on both sides, plugged.

Thanks for the reply.
Forgive my ignorance: what's the purpose of the heat riser?
heat riser was to warm the intake on start up and also heated the choke spring to open the choke but they were problematic and most were wired open. I wouldn't worry about it unless this is a full 100 point resto

From everything I seen, ceramic coating does help get some heat out of engine bay and does look sharp. If not a show car or no concern about heat, then just preference or not to get them done. I think if you had them ceramic coated, they would remove the primer. Someone like Cuda Chick could verify. Local company told me about $200 to powder coat a set of headers but not sure if that cost translates to same to ceramic coating.

From everything I seen, ceramic coating does help get some heat out of engine bay and does look sharp. If not a show car or no concern about heat, then just preference or not to get them done. I think if you had them ceramic coated, they would remove the primer. Someone like Cuda Chick could verify. Local company told me about $200 to powder coat a set of headers but not sure if that cost translates to same to ceramic coating.
Ceramic coating is the way to go if you want to keep them looking good. I talked to cuda chick about powder coating mine and she said it won't hold up to the heat, she would know.

I ceramic coated mine, my engine builder told me to be carefull with spilling gas on them it will discolor them. have't fired my engine yet, will be interesting to see how it holds up to the heat.

Blasted and painted mine with VHT "cast iron" colour high heat manifold paint and then followed the full baking process using an old oven. Not a lot of hard running at this point, but seems to be holding up well. I tack welded the heat riser wide open and restored the spring / counter weight for OE looks. I run a manual choke..

beerestoration2017 272.JPG beerestoration2017 278.JPG beerestoration2017 320.JPG beerestoration2017 329.JPG beerestoration2018 1253.JPG

manifolds look great dadsbee ,Might have to do that. did it stink bad baking in the oven. I would have no choice but to do it in the house.

Wait 'till the wife goes out... bake them... walk around the house with a rag soaked in Turpentine... you'll be fine! :canada:

Auto Transport Service
Back