• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hub stuck to drums

mike20016

Local time
5:48 AM
Reaction score
Hey everyone -- after reviewing some older threads here I decided I would take on switching to floating drums. Big thanks for ply64post and khryslerkid for their threads detailing how to separate the drums from the hubs. I did the procedure as described by ply64post's instructions (https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/dumping-swedged-studs.197197/#post-911607922), but unfortunately my studs are really stuck in.

So far, I have one stud removed and the hub actually separated from the drum on that side. I didn't bother with the other side because I could see that I was going to run into issues. After hitting the studs with a punch, they're not moving. They're drilled out to 5/16 in each and they've stopped moving. I took the intact hub/drum assembly and the other hub to a machine shop who worked on it but they're telling me they're not able to press them out.

So now I have one bent drum and one hub with 4/5 studs left in, cut, drilled, and partially out. Can someone help me get these studs out?

[edited to fix typos]

Last edited:
Use some Gibbs Lubricant Oil and let it soak in. Might need to apply it more than once.

I didn't drill out the centers of mine, I just cut the knurl off with a 5/8" hole saw. Take the drill bit out of the hole saw and clearance with a grinding stone or file. It fits snug over the stud. 11/16" hole saw may work too. Drill down about 1/8" or so is all I needed. Then I used a press to get them out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGWDTX8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

519012F7-1AD3-4CAC-A3BD-DB77314BD3D1.jpeg 4FDC9A17-89A1-4681-A87A-4D0ABAF81895.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back