• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hughes Engine rocker shaft assemblies

sabre67

Local time
3:10 AM
Reaction score
Has any one here used a set of these or hear of anybody who has? Just curious (790.00 a set complete).:thankyou:

Yes I used a set of 1.5's on my 440 EZ headed race motor for 3 years with no problem. Just check rocker to retainers clearance

I have the 1.5’s on a 505 with Trick Flow 240 heads. No problem at all, just make sure you get the correct mounting kit for the brand of cylinder head your using. I prefer these rockers because they’re made with bushings instead of roller bearings. Roller bearings are okay but the bushings don’t hemorrhage as must oil during operation.

I have the 1.5’s on a 505 with Trick Flow 240 heads. No problem at all, just make sure you get the correct mounting kit for the brand of cylinder head your using. I prefer these rockers because they’re made with bushings instead of roller bearings. Roller bearings are okay but the bushings don’t hemorrhage as must oil during operation.
How was the geometry using those rockers and TF heads

I was also able to used the stock valve covers

3CCF6ACE-B555-44E0-8D1D-4AA43FFEF6C0.jpeg CF2C2FAC-B82D-4DE6-9D34-8C790BF9BCB9.jpeg

I have the Hughes 1.5's on my 512" with Indy EZ-1's. They seem great. The cam is about .600 with about 250* @ .050 and the geometry looks real good. I'd buy them again, probably 1.6's with this cam though.

I use them on my 493 with a complete Hughes valve train. Several thousand miles so far, no troubles.
Mike

I have the 1:5s on my 440, Hughes STL-3842 solid cam, ported Stealth heads. Love em! The lash hasn't moved, oiling is great.
20180625_202902.jpg

Did anybody use the stud kit available from Hughes to mount their rocker shafts? Thanks you have all been a great help

Very nice kit. Just be aware the kit does NOT include hold-downs. Included are (very nicely done) .190" thick banana-grooved shafts with threaded end plugs, various spacers and shims, and instructions.
The rockers do NOT have bushings or roller bearings in the shaft bores and I noticed no burrs or edges inside the bore areas.
Geometry OOTB is better than I've seen on most BBM stuff. On the TF240 with .575 lift the 1.6 rocker had a pattern slightly toward the exhaust side, with a swipe just shy of .060. Shaft/wheel centerline dang near nuts-on parallel to retainer at mid lift. Sure, it could be made better with a b3 kit, but a few hundred clams for a .030-smaller wipe seems cost prohibitive in this case considering the intended usage...:poke:

Last edited:
Did anybody use the stud kit available from Hughes to mount their rocker shafts? Thanks you have all been a great help
So, the Hughes stud kit shows to be 2.375" in length. Others have reported them only coming about halfway through the nut with the stud fully engaged. Hughes says "if you need more engagement just back the studs out a few turns"...Horse hockey! The whole point IMO of studs is to get maximum depth in these heads due to them not having steel inserts.
Even TF's kit is too short for my holddowns (not Hughes). I am having to piece my kit together with 2.75" studs but it's okay, I made sure to have hold-downs and get all my measurements before buying anything...

Last edited:
Just for reference---
From full safe engagement in the TF240 pedestals to the top of the rocker shaft is just over 1.9"...so by the time you figure the thickness of whatever hold down you're using, a washer and nut....well you get the idea!

Im going to be using Edelbrock RPM heads so ill be sure to check my height with the Hughes stud kit

Im going to be using Edelbrock RPM heads so ill be sure to check my height with the Hughes stud kit
Okay for some reason I thought you were using TF....I think I got cornfused by another post lol

SRM1xHR.jpg

w4OUB9Y.jpg

No complaints so far, all hardware including rods from Hughes.
Much better than the spring-spacers I had on the previous Crane setup.

I actually bought the Hughes rockers for my EDE RPM head motor. They worked great on those heads too. The spacer & shim kit is excellent as are his hold downs. So I re-used the set up on my new Indy head 512.

Auto Transport Service
Back