• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hughes vs Comp

diesel_lv

Local time
12:04 PM
Reaction score
I'm pulling my 496" out to do some freshening along w replacing 5/16" pushrods, one snapped, with 3/8", and replacing Comp XR280HR-10 with a more stroker friendly cam. Comp recommended XR292HR-10 and Hughes recommends SER4246BL. Both are extremely close to each other. Comp says wait time will be till May 2023. Hughes is in stock. Hughes says they require a bit more spring rate, Hughes 436 spring rate w 155 @ 1.880" inches. Comp 395 spring rate but give a 111 "seat pressure" and installed height of 1.9". Already have the Comp springs on my current setup. Since I don't want to wait until May, I'm wanting to get the Hughes. Any bad review here on Hughes? Any recommendations on springs, run what I got or get Hughes?

Thanks.

What are you trying to achieve, maximum RPM and Horsepower? Drag racing? Low E.T. Cruising?
What don't you like about the cam that you already have?

I'm running a Hughes solid flat tappet and would 100% recommend them. I am also using their edm lifters. As far as springs, I'm running a set the is a little softer than Hughes recommended, maybe 396lbs at lift and haven't experienced any issues. Cam is the STL-3842 and I only rev up to 5700 rpms.

What are you trying to achieve, maximum RPM and Horsepower? Drag racing? Low E.T. Cruising?
What don't you like about the cam that you already have?
Not the question I asked. But thank you.

You asked for a recommendation on springs, so I asked what you were trying to accomplish. If you aren't doing all out racing, you can probably go with the softer spring that you already have and use the Hughes. You better go with what the experts recommend.
No problem, You're welcome.

I'm runnin the Hughes 2330 for the past 15 years, I'm happy! There's more than enough bad mouthing of Comp and they're bad products & shitty C.S. on this board, do a search. Good Luck

I bought my first Hughes cam, pushrods, lifters and rockers a couple years ago and am very happy with everything. I'd definitely be buying from them again.

I'm running a Hughes FT cam and their valvetrain in the Coronet for 6+ years with no issues. You call up Hughes and you talk to Dave, the owner. Can't say good enough things about his company.

I'm running a Hughes FT cam and their valvetrain in the Coronet for 6+ years with no issues. You call up Hughes and you talk to Dave, the owner. Can't say good enough things about his company.
Funny. I was going to say if you use Hughes, try to avoid Dave.

Huh. I've called Hughes maybe 6 - 7 times over the past several years. If I talk to one of his employees and they don't know the answer, they take my number and Dave has called me back every time.
You need to be prepared when you call; like most other small business owners he doesn't have a lot of time to waste, so have a game plan before calling.

There is not the problem with roller cam quality that there is with FT cams, so either one should be ok. If I am reading right, 111lb seat pressure with Comp springs, expect lifter pump early in the rpm range. Needs to be higher 140-150, maybe more, depending on max rpm.

Well bit the bullet this morning, ordered the Hughes cam, their recommended springs and decided to get their roller lifters too. As far worn down as my bronze drive gear was, not gonna chance having bronze inside the old lifters. It'll be a few months till I've got everything back together n running. Hopefully before Feb.

Which cam did you go with? Good Luck

Which cam did you go with? Good Luck
SER4246BL-10. Quotes rough idle, but that's on a 440. Everything says, including Hughes, should have around 11" vacuum in drive on my stroker n still have a nice lope. Enough intake closing degree to theoretically get rid of detonation on 91 octane n allow me run good timing.

Get the steel drive gear for the roller cam. Mancini has them & I think Hughes.

Auto Transport Service
Back