• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hurst four speed shifter.

blue69runner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:37 AM
Reaction score
Took mine apart and cleaned it and greased it. It dose not want to go into revers. Some times it will and it seems to be hard to get it to do it every time. Ordered the new shim plates. The back one dose not look like the ones I see on the net. Just a round hole in it and not the same hole I see in the video's. Any idea's on what could be the problem. Or would I need to get a new one. Called Hurst line and told them the number I see on the body. But they say that number dose not show up. So what replacement would I get. Any info would be grate. Thanks blue69runner.

This may be off base.....but have you checked your clutch pedal freeplay? When it gets a little tight, 1st and Reverse seem to be the gears most difficult to shift into.
One more thing... I think Hurst has a "pit pack" which uses harder metal bushings or something like that if I recall.

Reverse is not synchromesh and it’s 3 gears meshing at once so it’s harder to get into reverse. If you have your foot planted on the brake pedal and it won’t go in reverse release the brake even letting car roll a bit and it goes in when teeth line up.

But your car isn’t together or running yet, right?

Took mine apart and cleaned it and greased it. It dose not want to go into revers. Some times it will and it seems to be hard to get it to do it every time. Ordered the new shim plates. The back one dose not look like the ones I see on the net. Just a round hole in it and not the same hole I see in the video's. Any idea's on what could be the problem. Or would I need to get a new one. Called Hurst line and told them the number I see on the body. But they say that number dose not show up. So what replacement would I get. Any info would be grate. Thanks blue69runner.
Are you sure the problem is with the shifter and not the clutch/ adjustment? Does it shift into reverse easier with the engine off?

Motor just put in car and getting the trans. ready to put in. Got shim plates form the shift doc. Think this might be the problem. Has to be something simple for sure. Will proceed further and keep working on it. Thanks for the input and the place to find parts.

Does the trans go into reverse on the bench? The reverse lever interlocks with the 1-2 lever inside of the case so there could be a problem there.

Auto Transport Service
Back