• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hyd Clutch Install Help

wsutard

Local time
1:14 PM
Reaction score
Im in the process of installing an American Powertrain hydraulic clutch. I need help with attaching the heim joint to the stock pedal. The instructions say to try to get it in the stock clutch rod mounting location for the best throw ratio. Problem for me is there are no mounting holes in the stock pedal and my pedal assembly is installed in the car.

Any advice or pics on where to install the heim joint? Should I try to drill out the stock stud? Maybe drill right under that location on the pedal itself?

C12E470B-2912-4728-A14D-016A9ECBC2B9.jpeg

There should be a hole where the original clutch rod attached to. Use that.

There should be a hole where the original clutch rod attached to. Use that.
The original clutch rod is attached to a stud on the pedal. No hole. I have figured out that I need to pull the clutch pedal out to drill the necessary hole. Question is now where do I place it to get the best feel.

Anyone installed an American drivetrain hud clutch in a b body?

I did it on my A body. So grind the stud flush with the pedal arm, use a punch and knock it out. Now you’ve got your hole.

I’ll get some pics. Hang on.......

Never mind my mess, dash is out for some Dakota Digital gauges.

A5D9D995-4637-41BE-8FDC-C512FF305E50.jpeg 61E03C5A-841D-4BF1-B7D2-0F7BE3254BF1.jpeg

Never mind my mess, dash is out for some Dakota Digital gauges.

View attachment 623387 View attachment 623388
Thanks for the pics. I just got the spring off and the pedal out. I will use that spot. However, on a b body the clutch is moved outward and thus the connection is inward. It will still be at a slight angle (angling in) to the cylinder. Will that be an issue?

It’ll be fine. That’s why a heim joint is used. Do you see the angle mine is at?

It’ll be fine. That’s why a heim joint is used. Do you see the angle mine is at?
I can’t really tell the angle. But I believe you!

Ok next question. The old hole is a tad larger than the heim joint stud. Issue?

You can see the gap in the upper left on this pic.
1E0E5E39-CE8F-4BA3-9406-1D461025FF81.jpeg

Use a washer, it’ll be just fine. I love mine, works awesome!

I feel I should chime in - I have a AP hydraulic clutch setup, I should mention first I tried running this with a slave cylinder setup with ended up wearing out and busting my clutch - I tried the bolting on the stock clutch in a couple spots knowing nothing about pedal ratios and how they work. To perfect this setup i ended buying a wilwood 7:1 pedal that the master cylinder attaches to giving me a modern day setup with a correct pedal ratio. This coupled with a slave cylinder setup was still hard to press the clutch, so i ended up ditching the slave setup and going with a hydraulic throwout bearing which is now a great setup to drive.

The pic shows the pedal in the same location as the clutch but mounted to the firewall, I made a custom aluminum plate to even the distribution of force on the firewall so it won't crack down the road.
IMG_20160323_182543670_zpsddyr9ywd.jpg

this pic shows what it looks like mounted in the engine bay

IMG_20160323_182121397_zps0neyzg9i.jpg

mounted in car

IMG_20160428_135942_zpseeifhty0.jpg

IMG_20160323_182509513_zpsmizalwi2.jpg

I feel I should chime in - I have a AP hydraulic clutch setup, I should mention first I tried running this with a slave cylinder setup with ended up wearing out and busting my clutch - I tried the bolting on the stock clutch in a couple spots knowing nothing about pedal ratios and how they work. To perfect this setup i ended buying a wilwood 7:1 pedal that the master cylinder attaches to giving me a modern day setup with a correct pedal ratio. This coupled with a slave cylinder setup was still hard to press the clutch, so i ended up ditching the slave setup and going with a hydraulic throwout bearing which is now a great setup to drive.

The pic shows the pedal in the same location as the clutch but mounted to the firewall, I made a custom aluminum plate to even the distribution of force on the firewall so it won't crack down the road. View attachment 623447

this pic shows what it looks like mounted in the engine bay

View attachment 623448

mounted in car

View attachment 623449

View attachment 623450
Did the +71’ b bodies have the same pedals as 68-70? Unfortunately I don’t have the option of moving my clutch cylinder placement.

DSCN1620.JPG
I can’t really tell the angle. But I believe you!

Ok next question. The old hole is a tad larger than the heim joint stud. Issue?

You can see the gap in the upper left on this pic.
View attachment 623437

What Zack (5.7hemi) said. Because I'm a Virgo, I would go to a big box store or an Ace hardware and find a brass, bronze, steel, nylon or teflon bushing to get a tight fit between the clutch pedal and a smooth shouldered bolt for the heim, getting rid of the slack. I have the same set-up in my 63 and it works very well.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back