• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hydraulic Clutch

jgmccrac

Local time
5:47 PM
Reaction score
I installed the Malwood USA Underdash Hydraulic Clutch kit today. I had the American Powertrain firewall adapter but I hated my clutch pedal feel. This kit was fairly easy to install and I installed it with my pedals in the car. I had to remove the original clutch pedal and some bracketry, but it was all bolt on. I just need to bleed the system and try it out. I hope this helps those that have similar issues getting a good pedal ratio.

Malwood USA Mopar Kit

Install Video

How did it go? I'm considering a hydraulic clutch on a manual trans conversion and things seem very tight to get one in.

And how does it feel? Difficultly of installation? Details please!

And how does it feel? Difficultly of installation? Details please!
Here is video of what else is involved installing this kit with the pedals on the car. In the pedal assembly, I have circled in red, what needs to be removed from an original 4 speed pedal assembly, as their video focuses on an automatic pedal assembly. I have also attached some pics of the final install. Fairly straight forward, and their customer service is awesome.

Video

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

I also used the Malwood kit with a Ram hydraulic bearing in my 69 RR. Works great! I have the American Powertrain set up in my 72 Duster and hate it. Pedal throw is extremely short due to having to use a pedal stop and pedal effort is heavy with using the original mechanical linkage hole on the pedal for the clutch master push rod.

I have the SST conversion in the Coronet. Great clutch but understand that you can tailor to your taste. The original slave cylinder was a Wylwood .75” unit but they then sent a new .625” chinesium as the preferred unit. I installed the .625” and the pedal and travel were fine and as anticipated. In short order the Chinese part started leaking internally so I installed the .75” unit while ordering a new Wylwood .625”. There is a substantial difference. Almost tractor to car comparison. The big Benefit is the throw length. 1” for the .75 vs 2” for the .625. Sitting in the car you think you will hate it until you drive and start hammering gears. The short throw is quick and the pedal effort seems unnoticeable. Just noting that there are some driver choices. Also, a clutch stop is mandatory to not over extend the slave cylinder. The other benefit is to dial in the release point so you can have the clutch engaging right off release vs mid air like a lot of cars.

Auto Transport Service
Back