• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hydraulic lifters not pumping up

old guys rule

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:37 PM
Reaction score
Fresh 440 engine has now set for 2 years. Upon startup lifters on number 6 and 8 are rapping pretty bad like they're not pumped up at all. Any ideas?

Remove the valve cover and rocker assembly and use a magnet to carefully remove the lifters on 6 and 8. Put them in oil and manually pump them up then replace them….or…….reprime the engine using a 5/16” hex shaft through the distributor opening…….counter clockwise.

Just make sure you grab a paint can lid WITHOUT a vent hole in it....
beerestoration2017 013.JPG
beerestoration2017 014.JPG

Last edited:
Do NOT pump up the lifter. Old method that is completely unnecessary. How long did you let them tic? I have had lifters take a few minutes to quiet down with no problems. The problem is that the lube used by the factory has hardened, and the fact that you have let it sit for two hasn't helped. If you go back in and take them out, carefully remove the clips holding the pushrod seat in, and remove the internals making note of the order for re-assembly. Clean everything with carb cleaner, oil, and re-assemble, and they will work just fine. I had a customer bring me an OLD Comp Cams cam kit, and I had to do this on all of the the lifters because they were really gummed up. They worked just fine after words, right Jim... :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back