• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I finally bought a car trailer.

SteveSS

Local time
11:08 PM
Reaction score
I've been renting and borrowing trailers, sometimes paying tow trucks for moving my cars around. I stumbled into this deal today and went for it. Tell me what you think. We got a 20 foot Big Tex dovetail with a wood bed. The metal needs some repainting, it's a 1998 model. Trailer brakes, new wheels, and tires. Needs the lights rewired. $1700

Sorry, it was dark when we got it home. Looks like this but not as new and pretty.

big tex.jpg Just looked it up a 1969 Daytona is just shy of 19 feet. Perfect, I should get one.

Last edited:
Looks like mine ,there great little heavy but I've had heaver back there I'm looking to get an in closed soon

I remember my 1st truck and trailer . 79 Dodge step side that had electrical issues. $200 , pretty rusty, but it towed. Trailer was home made out of a mobile home frame and axles, $1000. But they were both mine. My son had a trailer like the one you purchased, worked great.
Doug

I have the same exact one and paid about the same for it except mine didn’t have any wood it was just metal frame. We took it straight to Home Depot and as they brought the planks out we put them in right there in the loading zone lol

To me, it looks more like a utility trailer than a car trailer. Where's the tie down hooks?

Looks nice. Good thing about the wood deck you can screw anything down anywhere when hauling other stuff than a car. Bad thing about the wood deck it rots out after several years. My open was once a wood deck. I welded diamond plate on top after removing the old rotted wood.

Nice trailer.
one of the best open trailers I own is a Big Tex with a steel deck.
Tows extremely well
Frank

Does it have a winch? Very handy to have. Can you open the door of your car on the trailer? Will the door clear the fender? Iam to old to be climbing thru windows. So I made the left trailer fender to pivot forward out of the way and the door clears the tires. Good for my health and dignity! LOL.

[QUOTE="kiwigtx, post: 911206642, member: 10565 Should buy a camera also.[/QU

A night vision camera? See post number 3. Although with the Super Moon last night and the snow on the ground at the ranch it was not too bad. The Super Moon will be its most bright tonight.

Looks like it will work good. Did you get ramps? Definitely get a winch.

Ramps yes. Unlike most car trailers they are stowed into the side of the trailer just behind the fenders. One thing my son brought up was power for the winch. I know most people have 12V batteries back there but Bryce's Dodge 3/4 diesel has an electrical connection that was for a camper. We'll see if that works.

Last edited:
7 wire plugs have a heavy duty accessory that should power a wench. What's that trailer weigh?

be a lot simpler to mount the battery on the trailer and use the truck wiring to Recharge that battery.
a real winch will Draw a lot of power,and the shorter the cables the better.
on my trailer we welded part of an old reese to the front and use a slider with the winch mounted on that.
when done with the winch,simply stick it back inside the truck,nobody can steal it.
also,does your trailer have a breakaway box,or do they not require them instate?

Auto Transport Service
Back