• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I found an old VIN plate from a 1969 Plymouth Road Runner Body I sold years ago- Help

Robert Bart

Local time
10:47 AM
Reaction score
I have found an old VIN plate from a 1969 Road Runner I sold along time ago. I decoded most of it but I was wondering if there is a way to track the original car down with just the plate alone. I would like to give it to the owner. The last two bottom lines have 6 digit numbers at the end, The top one is 229272 and the bottom 130964. There are so many different decoders out there that its hard for me to figure out.
I know its a 1969 Road Runner, B5 Blue? with a white vinyl top? (Odd) 440 HP Torqueflight, buckets, fender mounted turn signals (didn't know they put those on) white strips. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Robert

Post the vin number and if the owner does a search they can find it.

Your piece is called a fender tag, not a VIN plate

there were no 1969 road runners with a 440 HP

the last 6 of the VIN is not in the right range to be a 440 six barrel

440 six pack was available in 69.. pretty sure that’s an HP motor?

440 six pack was available in 69.. pretty sure that’s an HP motor?
As a "mid year" option - that is why @R413 states "not the right range"...before the availability release. Whether that's accurate, I don't know and defer to his greater expertise. What I can tell you is - IF it was a six-pack car, the fender tag would carry the E63 engine code (for the std RR 383) and also the A12 sales code (the 6pak/lift hood "package" sales code that "causes" the change to the 440-6). No A12, no 6-pak - assuming it is actually an "RM" Road Runner. The other possibility is that it was actually an "RS" GTX (not RR) and that would have buckets and a 440 4bbl with a 150mph speedo and, typically, a center console and also a lot of wood grain interior trim treatment.
I have found an old VIN plate from a 1969 Road Runner I sold along time ago.
If you would post a picture of said fender tag, we can sort most of this quite quickly. The only practical way to reunite the tag and car would be to get the full VIN posted so some internet search engine would have a chance of finding it IF someone actually attempts to search. The only other way is if you have a "friend" in law enforcement (or similar access) who's willing to bend the rules slightly to do a VIN search.

229xxx Vin is about 10,000 too low to be a Sixpack car. Lowest A12 number I have found is 239xxx, and there is only the one under 240xxx. Highest is just over 300xxx. If it's not in that window, it's not an A12, and there were no 440 4bbl 69 runners.

As a "mid year" option - that is why @R413 states "not the right range"...before the availability release. Whether that's accurate, I don't know and defer to his greater expertise. What I can tell you is - IF it was a six-pack car, the fender tag would carry the E63 engine code (for the std RR 383) and also the A12 sales code (the 6pak/lift hood "package" sales code that "causes" the change to the 440-6). No A12, no 6-pak - assuming it is actually an "RM" Road Runner. The other possibility is that it was actually an "RS" GTX (not RR) and that would have buckets and a 440 4bbl with a 150mph speedo and, typically, a center console and also a lot of wood grain interior trim treatment.

If you would post a picture of said fender tag, we can sort most of this quite quickly. The only practical way to reunite the tag and car would be to get the full VIN posted so some internet search engine would have a chance of finding it IF someone actually attempts to search. The only other way is if you have a "friend" in law enforcement (or similar access) who's willing to bend the rules slightly to do a VIN search.
The engine designation in the VIN would have a ”M” instead of a “H” if it was a 6-Pac Road Runner. If it was a GTX it would have a “L” for a 440. If the VIN happened to have a “J” it would have a 426 Hemi.

Okay, I am posting the fender tag. I took it off of a 1969 Road Runner that was originally B5 blue as evident by the fender tag. I used a few websites but the engine is a 440 HP to the best of my knowledge. It had no engine in it but was definitely a factory auto and big block.
These are the numbers
M33-Body side moldings N85-Tach R11 AM Radio V1W White Vinyl Top V6W White Longitudinal Stripes EMD End of sales of cours!
401? C16 Console with Woodgrain C55 Buckets 633? L31 Hood mounted Turn Signals? M21 Roof Drip moldings
B5 B5 Blue? PSX? X9? 925? 229272 Order #?
E86 440 4 barrel HP? D32 Heavy Duty Transmission RS23? L96? 130964?
Again, I did my best of getting this info off the internet. It seems like every fender tag is different. Is there a possibility that this fender tag was not original to the car? It was a 69 to the best of my knowledge. Let me know if I need to blow the image up but my numbers are correct.

fender tag.jpg

The engine designation in the VIN would have a ”M” instead of a “H”....
Agreed on all points - but a Lynch Road fender tag doesn't typically display the engines VIN digit up at the top. (pretty sure all the A12's were built at Lynch?)

Re-reading, this is further evidence that it was not an A12 as @Robert Bart states "the last two bottom lines" - a Lynch road tag would only have one line at the bottom - the sales order number, and the other at the upper right - the VIN which would read something like "A9xxxxxx".

Uh, that's a GTX. St Louis built. Fairly early build, Sept 25, 1968. (I think. I read lynch road tags better...lol)
And yep, fender tags have different layouts and information, depending on which plant built it: lynch road, st.Louis or Los angeles.
Edit.i believe the PSX would be black bucket seats, and the X9 would be upper inside door color, also black. Buckets would be necessary with a console.
Edit 2: the top line far right of a lynch tad for 69 would be 9Axxxxxx
Six pack Vin, from 69, ALL built at lynch, would be RM23(or 21 for a coupe) M9Axxxxxx

Last edited:
401? 633? L31 Hood mounted Turn Signals?
B5 B5 Blue? PSX? X9? 925? 229272 Order #?
HP? RS23? L96? 130964?
HP? - yes, that 440 would bear an HP stamp in 69 I believe; in 68, I don't think it did? Both are "Magnum"
RS23?
R = Belevdere Model line
S = "Special" = GTX in the Belvedere line
2 = 2-door
3 = Hardtop (no post) (GTXs were not available in the 21 post body, only HT and Conv.)
L96? = actually L9G
L = 440ci 4bbl
9 = 1969 model year
G = St Louis assembly plant built
130964 = 30,964th sequential VIN number assigned for the StL Plant for '69
B5 (upper body) B5 (lower body) Blue? - yes
PSX? = Actually P6X
P = "Premium" interior trim grade
6 = Vinyl bucket seats
X = Black soft-trim interior color
X9? = Black upper door frame paint
925? = Sched. Production Date Sept 25, 1968 (likely not actually built on that exact day, tho)
Order #? = Yep
401? Actually "A01" = Lights Package
633? = actually G33 = Outside LH Remote Standard Mirror, Chrome
Signals? = Yep - Fender mounted in a Belv/RR/GTX

Agreed on all points - but a Lynch Road fender tag doesn't typically display the engines VIN digit up at the top. (pretty sure all the A12's were built at Lynch?)

Re-reading, this is further evidence that it was not an A12 as @Robert Bart states "the last two bottom lines" - a Lynch road tag would only have one line at the bottom - the sales order number, and the other at the upper right - the VIN which would read something like "A9xxxxxx".

Ok, now I have another idea. I sold this car on ebay eons ago. I wonder if ebay still keeps the records from sales that are older than 15 years ago? I will research.
Anyway, what are your thoughts on what type of car is this?

Ok, now I have another idea. I sold this car on ebay eons ago. I wonder if ebay still keeps the records from sales that are older than 15 years ago? I will research.
Anyway, what are your thoughts on what type of car is this?
It's a 69 GTX that you keep calling a road runner. Just to be blunt.

That tag is from a 69 GTX. We have no idea what the car was that you sold, it doesn’t have to match that tag at all.

eBay keeping records for 15 years? If you look it up by the auction number online you will get nothing. Too old. Maybe calling and talking to a person could get different results.

For best results you need to list the full VIN and the last 8 of the VIN in a new thread title so someone searching wil be able to find it.

Also go to moparts.com and start a thread in the fender tag lost and found section. That has a lot of traction in the mopar lost and found world.

Yeah, I realized my mistake. Im old and type to fast!

Auto Transport Service
Back