• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I got bad VD

Longknife

Local time
6:02 PM
Reaction score
VIBRATION DAMPENER!!!!!!!!! LOL!, I have to replace my Vib D and the new one says I must use a VD installer tool, Its been a long time since I worked on one of these BB Mopars but I remember just pulling them on with the bolt...???? What Ya think???

I would use the install tool. If the new one is really tight on the crank nose you could damage the thread.

Just get a new TOOL and all your VD problems will go away!

I rented one from Advance Auto last time. Worked great. I'm not hammering on a dampner like I've known some to do! :rolleyes:

If you have the tools, mic the crank OD and the damper ID and see how tight it is. I have a homemade tool (no VD) and it works well but checking the size of any new part is important.

Normally you can't get the dampner on far enough to use the factory bolt to pull it on. It will only be a few threads and they won't hold up. The installation tool kit has a longer bolt.

Penicillin, dude... and for the love of crumb cake, stay out of the game for awhile!!

You might consider re-wording your title next time; I thought you had a STD, LOL!
:lol:

Normally you can't get the dampner on far enough to use the factory bolt to pull it on. It will only be a few threads and they won't hold up.
I've always been able to get them on with no special tools.
I sand both with 400 paper, clean thoroughly test fit with light oil until I can get it on about a 1/3 of the way.
Hit it with a dead blow a couple times and bolt it on.

VIBRATION DAMPENER!!!!!!!!! LOL!, I have to replace my Vib D and the new one says I must use a VD installer tool, Its been a long time since I worked on one of these BB Mopars but I remember just pulling them on with the bolt...???? What Ya think???
Sounds like you have a bad case of Van-aerial Disease. :lol:

4f4b8eb6?rik=c3v50NTMxPwk%2bg&riu=http%3a%2f%2fimageaerialsystems.co.uk%2fimg%2fimage-aerial-van.jpg

How often do these things fail? I have the front of my 440 stripped down and was going to pull the dampener to see if I can ID the cam. I’m looking at the dampener and wondering if I should replace it - the block is a 67 and it looks original.

I’ve seen stock replacements for around $100, but it seems like it might be a waste as I’ve never had one of these things crap out.

How often do these things fail? I have the front of my 440 stripped down and was going to pull the dampener to see if I can ID the cam. I’m looking at the dampener and wondering if I should replace it - the block is a 67 and it looks original.

I’ve seen stock replacements for around $100, but it seems like it might be a waste as I’ve never had one of these things crap out.
It's got a 54 year old piece of rubber in there.
Your call.

Homemade tool here too. I got a length of 3/4 16 all thread around six inches, bottom it in the crank, then use a 3/4 nut and a couple bigass fender washers with grease in between, and just crank it on. I have less than five bucks in it, cause the all thread was available at my shop. Conveniently, the puller has the same thread.

Auto Transport Service
Back