• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have a T-Converter question

BIGSHCLUNK

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:42 AM
Reaction score
Looking at a unit yesterday (non mope ) The end of the converter shaft had 2 spots on it (the end that goes into the pump) that were blue! This unit was just installed maybe 2 weeks ago. Not by me BTW. I understand blue= excessive heat! And the lip was a little sharp. I say the converter was not seated properly upon install. Or maybe the lines werent blown out and metal from the old one got sucked into the pump? I'd appriciate opinions...
Thanks
BIGS

A pic would sure help show what you're talking about.....

X2 on the pic. We keep about 50 converters in stock. All of them have a certain amount of "blueness" in the splines from heat treating, so a pic would be helpful.

are you sure it was not blue before install?welding during assembly can cause that.if the trans was run dry you might build enough heat to cause that,but is would be hard to creat that much heat if it had fluid in it.enough heat to cause that would cause tremendous damage to the surounding aluminum parts.

Sorry , no pic. I do understand the blue where the shaft is welded to the converter body. This is on the other end, there's no welding going on there.

Sounds like the pump got ferociously hot.
Agreed! ... so what caused it? Converter not seated properly upon installation? Lack of blowing out the cooler lines / sucked all kinds of debris into the pump?

Really tough to say without pics, could be metal transfer from a mis stab into the pump or could even be a poorly finished hub, was this a GM, Ford, ???

Ford converters are very commonly mis stabbed which can lead to steel transfer from the pump gears to converter hub, better check that one out closely.

Auto Transport Service
Back