• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have steering shaft play; steering box does NOT leak.

62Fury

Local time
2:01 PM
Reaction score
1962 Fury, it has power steering. I can rotate the steering shaft approx. 1" or more back and forth. The box itself is dry and not leaking so thinking I need to add bearings, gaskets, seals (or whatever ya'll can recommend) to get the shaft from rotating when I grab it. Steering wheel itself is not centered either and I can watch the steering wheel move through the window as I rotate the shaft. Any advice here?

Is this with the engine running or turned off?

Is this with the engine running or turned off?
checked while not running, I'll go out and see if it happens while running (I'm sure it does though) I'll answer you in a minute.

There is usually a little bit of play in old steering. Most of the time, sloppy steering in our cars is from loose tie rod ends or a worn out idler arm. Look for excess motion in the linkage under the car while someone is turning the wheel back and forth.

checked while not running, I'll go out and see if it happens while running (I'm sure it does though) I'll answer you in a minute.
While running it turns the steering wheel normally. So it does the inch or more movement when not running

There is usually a little bit of play in old steering. Most of the time, sloppy steering in our cars is from loose tie rod ends or a worn out idler arm. Look for excess motion in the linkage under the car while someone is on turning the wheel back and forth.

I don’t see any excess motion on linkage or idler arm while running and turning wheel back and forth. Any other help on this issue? Thanks

I don’t see any excess motion on linkage or idler arm while running and turning wheel back and forth. Any other help on this issue? Thanks
It is not an issue. If the play in the wheel is gone when its running its normal. Try fixing that and you will create problems. Do you have an actual problem????

The slop you're seeing is the input fluid control valving. That's how it applies power while turning.
Not running- no power assist= slop.
Pretty much normal.
Agreed.

Maybe a dumb question....do p/s boxes have the "worm gear" like manual boxes do? I remember tightening my worm gear slightly years ago to remove slop

Maybe a dumb question....do p/s boxes have the "worm gear" like manual boxes do? I remember tightening my worm gear slightly years ago to remove slop
Not dumb and yes it does have the "worm gear" and I did adjust it on my power steering box.

It is not an issue. If the play in the wheel is gone when its running its normal. Try fixing that and you will create problems. Do you have an actual problem????
I think I do have an actual problem, there is "steering wheel play" when driving down the road as well.

I think I do have an actual problem, there is "steering wheel play" when driving down the road as well.
Then you will have to do a full inspection. Old tires can do funny things as well as alignment.

Then you will have to do a full inspection. Old tires can do funny things as well as alignment.
I'm driving and let go of steering wheel and its straight down the road, I have brand new tires, what full inspection do you recommend?

I'm driving and let go of steering wheel and its straight down the road, I have brand new tires, what full inspection do you recommend?
The steering in my 68 Charger is stock and will come out when my new motor is ready but yesterday my steering got looser while tooling around town. I am sure New UCAs and LCAs as well as new coilovers, Borg Warner PS conversion unit and QA1 suspension bits will tighten everything up when the new motor is in. But, right now I have damn near 360º of play in my steering wheel with no change to wheels. BTW this is a non-ps car. What full inspection do you recommend?

IMG_8114.jpeg

The steering in my 68 Charger is stock and will come out when my new motor is ready but yesterday my steering got looser while tooling around town. I am sure New UCAs and LCAs as well as new coilovers, Borg Warner PS conversion unit and QA1 suspension bits will tighten everything up when the new motor is in. But, right now I have damn near 360º of play in my steering wheel with no change to wheels. BTW this is a non-ps car. What full inspection do you recommend?

View attachment 1468880
Finding someone competent and versed on suspensions and have them evaluate the steering and suspension for what is wrong.

View attachment 1468880
If you've got 360° of play then you're wheel is no longer connected...
Nice car BTW

View attachment 1468880
Clearly the car is totally unsafe and dangerous. I'll save you all the trouble, just send me the car (or let me know where to pick it up) and sign it over to me and you'll be good to go. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back