• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I NEED KICKDOWN LINKAGE PICTURES AND INFO

Old Man

Local time
7:15 PM
Reaction score
I have a new Holley 80508S with the added throttle lever installed on the 440 engine in a 1968 Coronet R/T, and I need good pictures and information on how to set up the stock automatic transmission kickdown linkage. Should there be some slack between the initial throttle linkage movement and movement of the kickdown? If so, how much? Should there be a spring pulling the kickdown in one direction or the other? If so, where does it attach to the linkage and on the fixed end? What does the linkage look like when adjusted properly. How is this linkage system supposed to work together?

This should do it.

IMG_0881.JPG IMG_0882.JPG IMG_0883.JPG

O.K. if this is the linkage you have, look at the picture, the spring goes from the throttle post and hooks in the upper link rod hole to keep the rod from falling off. This pulls the rod forward, to adjust open the throttle all the way and the rod should be all the way back if not adjust the upper rod to take out the play.

This is a factory kickdown set-up using an Edelbrock Performer RPM and Mancini high rise linkage bracket.

20170318_160207.jpg

I have a new Holley 80508S with the added throttle lever installed on the 440 engine in a 1968 Coronet R/T, and I need good pictures and information on how to set up the stock automatic transmission kickdown linkage. Should there be some slack between the initial throttle linkage movement and movement of the kickdown? If so, how much? Should there be a spring pulling the kickdown in one direction or the other? If so, where does it attach to the linkage and on the fixed end? What does the linkage look like when adjusted properly. How is this linkage system supposed to work together?

Hi guys,
I got three replies, all of them helpful, but the biggest help came from the reply that showed my exact linkage (stock) and how to adjust it, apparently straight out of the shop manual. I looked it up, and will tackle the job first thing tomorrow morning. Thanks a bunch, men. This forum stuff is neat. I wonder if I will ever be able to help someone!

Auto Transport Service
Back