• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need power steering pump help

dbc105

Local time
12:30 PM
Reaction score
I have a '68 Satellite with a 383 and a Federal pump. I have not had the car long and the pump started leaking. After removing it and seeing the tank was banged up and epoxied, I decided to just replace the pump. and since someone had put new hoses and belts I thought I would be better off. No one has the pump. The local parts house has one for a '72 model B Body but no pulley and it uses an O ring hose and mine is a flair hose. Also the shaft on the '72 pump is a smaller diameter than what it have. To add to the mix, I have a nice Saginaw pump off a '78 Olds 98 and I can get brackets to fit from 440 Source.com.

Now the question part:
1) what are the shaft sizes? are these pulleys hard to find?
2) will the brass flair seat in the old pump come out and fit into the '72 pump so I can use my current hose?
3) if I can't make any of the Federal stuff work, what size pulley will I need for my Saginaw pump to get the correct pressure?
4) do the belts for the Saginaw run around the water pump(mine currently doesn't and it is an A/C car)? this would mean finding a water pump pulley also.

If I went with the Saginaw, I have a double groove pulley on it now. It would be nice to run a double groove on the water pump and eliminate the idler and belt that now runs the water pump. Has anyone seen a setup like this?

Some pictures of some pulley setups would be helpful also.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as most people I have talked to have no idea about any of this stuff.

Thanks,
DC

I second this question... my pump is leaking too and I have found that nobody caries them anymore. This must be a pretty recent change, because everyone seems pretty surprised that they can't get one for me.

I am still a step behind though... I am still trying to figure out how to tell the difference between the Federal and Saginaw pumps... and which one I have. :confused:

It seems, if the neck on the tank is round, it is a Federal pump. If it is oval or looks like a Chevy pump, it is a Saginaw. There was also a Thompson but I have not found any reference to these pumps on a B body.

DC

check with napa auto parts.I brought mine from them for a 69 gtx

There were federal and trw pumps for 68. Both have the round neck and look about identical. The TRW will have TRW cast on the pump near the pressure hose area, federals seem to have been more common. If you do have a federal pump I'm sure I have a resivor here. PM me if you are interested
As stated saginaw pumps have a taller and kinda oval neck, federal and trw's have a short neck that is round

here are some pic's the one on the car is a federal and the one off is a TRW

1 pump 4.jpg

1 pump 2.jpg

1 pump.jpg 3.jpg

Thanks for the info on the pump types guys. That is great. I think that I can tell what I have now.

We should get back to the topic of the thread though, sorry dbc... I didn't mean to jack the thread with my question on pump identification. :blush:

Call Steer & Gear in Columbus , Ohio this is a link to there web site .www.steerandgear.com . I bought one from them for my 68 superbee . Here is the pump catalog , you have a click on the CHRYSLER ONLINE ORDERING tab under the duster

Navigation: Start STEER AND GEAR CHRYSLER CATALO

Search:

2070 - Power Steering Pump - Saginaw - 1968 & Up

Remanufactured Saginaw Power Steering Pump for 1968 & up. Pressure hose screws into the back of the reservoir can. (Does not include reservoir can or pulley.) Painted cast-iron grey. Price includes refundable $45. core deposit.

$130.00

2071 - Power Steering Pump - Federal

Remanufactured Federal Power Steering Pump for 1968 & up. Pressure hose screws into the back of the pulley and the end of the pump shaft has internal threads. (Does not include reservoir can or pulley.) Painted cast-iron grey. Price includes refundable $45. core deposit.

$130.00

2072 - Power Steering Pump - Small TRW - 1968 & Back

Remanufactured Small TRW Power Steering Pump for 1968 & back. End of the pump shaft is solid (does not include reservoir can or pulley.) Painted cast-iron grey. Price includes refundable $65. core deposit.

$250.00

2073 - Power Steering Pump - Large TRW

Remanufactured Large TRW Power Steering Pump. End of the pump shaft will have a hex recessed or screwdriver slot. (Does not include reservoir can or pulley.) Painted cast-iron grey. Price includes refundable $45. core deposit.

$220.00

Last edited:
onebadbee, what do they get for a pump? all I see on their site is steering gears.

DC

That's ok about the thread high jacking, I was glad to learn that they look the same but are different. TRW may be what is at the parts house.

DC

why dont you just rebuild the pump. the crack on the pump housing you might be able to find a good welder to mig that.

I thought I would rebuild the pump before I removed it. After I got it off I found it has a little more gear lash than I would like on a daily driver. At least you would call it gear lash in a transmission. That coupled with the tank I figured replacement would be the best option. I have a nice Saginaw pump that has a double pulley and I have a 4 groove crank pulley off a truck motor and if I can find a water pump double pulley with the right offset, I'll run double belts around both pumps and eliminate the extra belt with the idler pulley.

DC

I have a Saginaw power steering pump on my 1967 Satellite.
I purchased 2 different kits to rebuild the pump and bothe have a larger diameter shaft seal and bushing.
Is there someone who makes a kit or those parts for a smaller diameter shaft?

advance auto parts sells remanned pumps they are not callled saginaw or federal but mount and hook up the same they have one that looks like a saginaw in the pic but when i actually got it the tank was different. otherwise it still mounts and hooks up the same was only like $50

advance auto parts sells remanned pumps they are not callled saginaw or federal but mount and hook up the same they have one that looks like a saginaw in the pic but when i actually got it the tank was different. otherwise it still mounts and hooks up the same was only like $50

First, Did they supply the pullley?
Second, my Advance Auto Parts commercial parts man said he will not order the reman pump from Cardone, saying they were junk.

power steering pump

Why not rebuild what you have? Seems to often people are to anxious to replace what they have with rebuilt parts that may come from Mexico or China, and the quality is questionable. There is a place in Springfield MO that rebuilds the older pumps and such. (www.powersteering.com). Phone number is 417-864-6676. There has been a magazine article or two about them. And they speak English!

Why not rebuild what you have? Seems to often people are to anxious to replace what they have with rebuilt parts that may come from Mexico or China, and the quality is questionable. There is a place in Springfield MO that rebuilds the older pumps and such. (www.powersteering.com). Phone number is 417-864-6676. There has been a magazine article or two about them. And they speak English!

I am trying to rebuild my pump. The problem is that with any of the kits I bought, the shaft bushing was too big in diameter and the front shaft oil seal is too large to fit into the housing. For all intense and purposes all the other seals are fine. These 2 dollar parts are holding me the hell up.

Eddie Mopar;82488[I said:
These 2 dollar parts are holding me the hell up.[/I]

:Groaner: i feel your pain, Eddie!!!! DAMHIK...:black_eye:

First, Did they supply the pullley?
Second, my Advance Auto Parts commercial parts man said he will not order the reman pump from Cardone, saying they were junk.

no, no pully and not from cardone either its from fenwick automotive and as stated above its not remanned in the states it was remanned in mexico

Hey guys are those mercedes parts or what brand or model will fit on those parts? Because I needed help for those kind of parts I have no idea what will I look. thanks

Steff Patterson

Auto Transport Service
Back