• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I remember when...

RPM

Local time
3:51 PM
Reaction score
I remember when my father had some cool cars. I think he gave them up when he had us kids, but I do remember them. Amongst the cool cars he had sitting around was his pride and joy a 1963 Dodge Polara 500 which doned a HP383 and a mean Hurst 4 speed. The car was fast (so I am told ) with some modifications done on the motor and some 3.91 SG grinders out back. Strangly enough the 3.91's are in my Duster right now. The car was white with blue interior and lots of chrome inside. He had a set of redline tires on it with chrome reverse rims (no moons for that mean race look). Man, I remember even as a very young boy liking that car. Dad finally put the for sale sign in it and ended up selling it to a guy he knew. The guy ended up wrapping int around a telephone pole shortly thereafter. The guy lived... the car didnt. I imagine the guy about lost his life though when he told my dad about it. The second mopar I remember as a young boy was a '73 Dodge Charge SE with a 400ci and 727 trans with 3.55 out back. Drk Blue with the black vinyl top. Sat on Magnum wheels and had the large exhaust tips on the back. I remember sticking my hand up the exhaust pipe to see if I could feel the engine. All I got was a black hand. That Charger ended up going down the road too. It was traded in for a .... geeezzzz do I have to say it ? 1975 Dodge Coronet 4 -door family car. I remember when they pulled up in the drive with it i said " yuck ".

Well my dad has always been interested in cars and getting close to his retirement he is needing something to keep occupied. I hope to be able to locate another '63 Polara for him and help him restore it back to look like the one he had... maybe better.

-RPM

My dad liked cars too when I was young. He had a 55 Olds Rocket, a 61 Cadillac series 62 convertible, and a 64 Pontiac Starchief with a 389...among others. I can remember hepling him rebuild the 390 in the Caddy when I was just a kid, I got to wash all the greasy grimy parts and make them clean so he could paint them up. He gave me my very first driving lesson in the Starchief.

cool stories, my dad didn't have anything fun. he actually mocked me for getting my first charger 68 383 4V 4 speed. he called it a gas guzzler.

First car I ever remember riding in was a 63 Tempest with a 326 3spd. It was my dads brothers he bought it new but couldnt make the payments so my dad bought it off him. My uncle worked at a Texaco and was a die hard gear head. He had been in jail for grand theft auto and I can remember
going over to my grand parents house where he lived and he had a 62 vette in the garage.
High school story in 1977 there was a guy that went to the high school across
town..Every friday at around lunch time he would drive through the parking lot where I went to school and do this massive burnout then go through all 4 gears sideways.
He was driving a 1970 Red with black stripes Chevelle SS 454 LS6 license plate UPUNK. Remember that
like it was yesterday. Lots of other stories. Fun days the 70's were.Having fun was still legal back then.
:yes:

First car I can remember we had was a 57 or 58 Plymouth wagon. Was kinda green. Had the rear facing third seat, but I couldn't ride back there cause I'd get car sick:yuk:

And my brother's first car was a 58 Coronet that my grandmother bought new.

Can't begin to list all the cool cars my dad had because he was a collector. At one point he had more than 30 cars in the collection. He liked off-beat stuff--Nashes, Kaisers, Studebakers, and also had a BUNCH of Thunderbirds, Jaguars and Benzes. Here's my painting of my favorite car from my dad's collection, a 1950 Jaguar Mk V drophead coupe:

John Henry.jpg

My dad collected Packards and Studebakers as well. One of my nephews has a Packard now! Interesting, since his main toy is a BMW Z3 (that's been in a couple of mags...)

cool stuff... well besides the Mopars I remember a 1957 Ford Crown Vic hardtop convertible .... sold for $50 bucks !!! GAAAAAA!!!!! It was last know to be a trailer queen on the show car circuit world.

A lot of other old Furd stuff too..... '54 Ford with hopped up T-bird 312 and dual quads.... etc... etc.. etc...

.....sigh....

Auto Transport Service
Back