• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I saw two 69 Chargers on the Mannix TV show reruns.

chargervert

Local time
9:25 AM
Reaction score
The other night, I was watching the Mannix television reruns,and they showed two 69 Chargers. The first one was a red 69 Charger with a black vynal top. The guy who was driving it pulled up to a business, and spoke to the Security Guard, and then drives away. The car gets some decent screen time, and a good rear end shot of it, when he drives away. The second Charger is a bronze 69 Charger R / T SE that has a white vynal top and tail stripe. Mannix is trying to follow a van out of an airport parking lot in his Dart convertible, and the Charger blocks him from persueing the van. The episode with the Chargers was season 2 episode 22. I am not good at posting pictures from films or television shows, perhaps if someone else has time to they can post them. The Mannix series always had cool cars in it. The first season he drove an customized Olds Toronado convertible, then he drove 68 and 69 Dart convertibles that were customized by George Barris. For the 70-71 seasons he drove Cuda convertibles, and some were modified to look like a 72 Cuda for the beginning of the 72 season. He drove a 72 Rallye Challenger with a sunroof for the end of the 72 season and the 73 season, then he drove a Camaro for the 74 season. There were always a lot of Mopars on the show, mostly cop cars, or bad guys driving Chrysler Imperials. Product placement was a big deal back then, and Chrysler took full advantage of it. I enjoy watching the old television shows from the sixties and seventies. It is really cool to see these cars when they were new, and the other cars and background brings me back to the time I grew up.

From what I have seen on some of the other Mopar sites, both of the Mannix customized Dart convertibles that were built by George Barris survived and have been restored. One of the Cuda convertibles also survived and was restored in with the 72 grille and tailpanel modifications that were done to update it for the 72 season. Chrysler also did 72 modifications to the Brady Bunch Barracuda convertible, and the Challenger convertibles that were used on the Medical Center, and Mod Squad television shows as well.

The red Charger pulls up in the opening scene and the bronze Charger is seen at 16:22. I did not remember the Dart convertible, was always a good show to watch back then.

Was looking at a movie, but casually, and Mathew McConaghey(spelling) I looked up, and they were doing a close up, while he was driving. I noticed the rear view mirror, and thought that's a Mopar, sure enough.it was I want to say it was a '66 Charger, might have been a '67. Pretty cool.

68 Dart GTS Advert. #5 Convertible from the show Manix George Barris car.jpg

I always love seeing old Mopars(or any classic for that matter) in their original form on old TV shows... Recently I saw a replay of one of the early Super Bowls, I can't remember which one but there were brand new Dodge Chargers lined up along the sidelines. I guess it was the 'official car of the Super Bowl' that year or whatever..purdy dang cool

I remember Tony Musante in the tv show Toma. Drove a mopar. I think it was a 1968 Plymouth Belvedere Tan. 1986 crime story Dennis Farina ( Lt. Mike Torello) drove a 57,or 58 Chrysler 300 convertible black with a white top. I also spotted a 1959 Plymouth Sport Fury in the pilot. The Fury was black.i remember Janet Leigh riding in a taxi in the movie psycho, and the camera angle looking out the rear window of the taxi, and a 1959 Plymouth was behind them.

one of the special cars you mentioned was featured years ago.
the owner had bought it with i think? a mangled 72 front end and he had a gilled 71 front clip on standby,
so he Assumed it was a tailpanel replacement.
his plan was to turn it back into a 71......
luckily,he actually found out before he cut the car up and ended up restoring it.
i believe his was one of the Green cars,either doris day? mannix? or Brady bunch cars.

mopar did a lot of the tv shows back then,
i think they were even involved in the beverly hillbillies cars as well.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back