• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I searched... and got more confused.

65RoadRacer

Local time
3:33 PM
Reaction score
I realize that the cast 360 crank was externally balanced and used a different balancer than the 318-340, but when you're running a forged crank (Scat) can you run a 318/340 balancer?

I did the search, but there were so many variables that it's easier to ask, sorry if this is repeated. Also, it seems that every "performance" balancer is a bit thicker than the OE, with notes such as:

Due to changes by the manufacturer over time, the tab MAY need to be ground and re-welded. The damper face for pulley mounting will be forward of the OEM location by .150” for 2-ring internal balance, .450” for 3-ring int. balance, .750” for 3-ring ext. balance. Hubs may be shortened by the listed amount for internal balance & by .600” (.150” fwd of OEM) on ext. balance if tab is cleared. 2-ring int. balance can be installed in OEM location with minor clearancing of timing tab & retain OE timing mark.

Just about everyone I talk to says that balancers are a pain for the small block. So what do you guys run for a damper? I'm kind of thinking with a forged crank 360 just getting an OE style balancer is going to eliminate issues.

if you are running a scat crank did you not have your rotating assembly balanced? not sure what your question is.

if you are running a scat crank did you not have your rotating assembly balanced? not sure what your question is.
Not looking to balance the crank, looking to get a harmonic balancer, which can be for internal or external weight-balanced cranks. Most of the aftermarket balancers are thicker than the OE unit and they require shimming the other pulleys and components so the grooves will line up, hence the footnote in the original post. Just looking for brands in addition to the one that Summit offers.
upload_2018-3-18_9-32-27.png

But I did find that Fluidampr makes one that has a recessed area for the pulley so that everything lines up properly, and is listed for internally balanced 318-340-360.
upload_2018-3-18_9-21-34.jpeg

Aren't you using the drive setup from Billet Specialties? Thought they said which one to use for line up and fit.

Aren't you using the drive setup from Billet Specialties? Thought they said which one to use for line up and fit.
I don't see where they say any of that, however, it's designed for an OE style damper. If it's a thicker damper then the serpentine belt won't line up. Since the engine will be a little more potent, I need a performance damper, but I also need the crank pulley to bolt into the stock location.

I'm not familiar with small blocks, and i don't have a serpentine, but i can tell what I did in a similar situation with my big block. I went from the thin 440 damper to the thicker hemi. I had a solid aluminum lower, so i just mmachined off extra material, then made a spacer the same thickness as what I removed so i could reverse direction if i wanted to. I did have access to a lathe and materials. This only would work with a solid aluminum lower.

I wonder if it may be worthwhile to ask them for any info. I could have sworn I saw in their catalog where they recommended to use certain brands of units. Yeah for sure on your future combo you will need one thats not oe. As far as weighted or not, whoever balances the reciprocating assembly should be able to keep it internal and not resort to external balance. Wasn't there an outfit in your area that makes balancers? Maybe Innovators West or some other company.

Last edited:
I wonder if it may be worthwhile to ask them for any info. I could have sworn I saw in their catalog where they recommended to use certain brands of units. Yeah for sure on your future combo you will need one thats not oe. As far as weighted or not, whoever balances the reciprocating assembly should be able to keep it internal and not resort to external balance. Wasn't there an outfit in your area that makes balancers? Maybe Innovators West or some other company.
I really don't think they have a recommendation other than OE style, meaning the pulley needs to be in the OE location.

Re: Weighted - I'm not confused about balancing the rotating assembly, Scat balanced the rotating assembly.
If you look up 318-340 harmonic balancers, they are typically listed as "internally balanced", 360 harmonic balancers are typically listed as "externally balanced" - that's how they came OE. I'm not looking for an externally balanced damper, I asked if there was anything different about the 318/340 since they are "internally balanced" dampers.
At any rate, the "internally balanced" Fluidampr is listed as 318-340-360 so that kind of answers my question.

Auto Transport Service
Back