• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I think I broke it already

moparedtn

I got your Staff Member riiiight heeeere...
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:39 PM
Reaction score
So I got up the gumption to fire up the GTX and take it out on this unseasonably warm day.
Fired her up, let her get warm, then set off on a short drive to town.
When I got to the 3-way stop, I rolled out in first, then hit her hard. Grabbed 2nd and dropped the clutch enthusiastically and she laid down considerable rubber out both tires.
That was the good part...

The bad part was the metallic sounding whirring that started coming out of the area of the transmission; I could even feel it in the stick a little bit. It was very much in tune with the speed of the car, not what gear I was in. A rotational sound, like a drill with a bad bearing.
It starts above 40mph and gets worse the faster I go.
Reminds me of a speedometer cable in dire need of lubrication, even though my speedo works perfectly and has a new speedo gear in it so it does.

This whirring grindy sound does not occur audibly below 40mph; it is independent of engine speed, gear I'm in, any of that - it is very much in tune with actual vehicle speed.
Does it in 3rd gear, same in 4th gear, doesn't matter what gear.
Other than that, the car drives just as fine as it ever did and doesn't seem affected other than the hair-raising sound emanating from the tranny.

Any guesses? I'm going to disconnect the speedo at the case tomorrow and try that first, but I'm thinking that's wishful thinking.

Sounds like the spline bearing in the transmission to me. Hopefully I'm wrong! Good luck! Mike

Sounds fatal. I will bring my trailer and take that headache off your hands for a small fee!

Put it up on stands and roll the wheels by hand. Listen close and look for play where it shouldnt be. Trans output shaft?Dry ujoint? Play in the pinion? Wheel bearing? I wouldn't think the speedo would cause something you can "feel" but never know.

Gear oil level ok? I know,I know. Needle brgs in cluster gear( not real up on 4/spds.

Have you inspected the trans mount?

If it is deemed something internally....it is either the rear bearing or an issue in the main cluster gear.....

If in the cluster gear set the noise should disappear with the clutch disengaged and in neutral.
Cluster gear set rides on needle bearings.
I would start checking synchronizer hub splines

A good probability is the input shaft bearing. The ball bearing retainers come apart. The good news is, if it just happened, any metal particles probably didn't do any harm.

Sounds like it is to do with rotation of the driveshaft since the noise seems to be with speed of car and not engine or transmission speeds. Didn't you have a problem with the tailshaft bearing ? someone came and helped you with that? Seems like the fix left me skeptical IIRC.................................MO

Last edited:
Have you inspected the trans mount?
If it is deemed something internally....it is either the rear bearing or an issue in the main cluster gear.....
Trans crossmember and mount are all brand new. Went together real nice. It's in one of my old threads somewhere.

Sounds fatal. I will bring my trailer and take that headache off your hands for a small fee!
Put it up on stands and roll the wheels by hand. Listen close and look for play where it shouldnt be. Trans output shaft?Dry ujoint? Play in the pinion? Wheel bearing? I wouldn't think the speedo would cause something you can "feel" but never know.
Come on and get the thing. :)

Whatever it is, it happened immediately after scratching 2nd hard. The transmission was a donor gift so the history on it is unknown. It is 23 spline, but this 440 is no fire belching 700hp beast.
Just playing process of elimination right now; I'll get under the thing today after duties. It's almost like the tailshaft bushing we replaced last fall is spinning in the case or something?
I know u-joints are fine and wouldn't all of a sudden do this anyways; pinion is fresh-fresh and part of the rebuilt punkin. This is definitely not a rear end noise.
Easiest way I can describe it is....
Everyone knows what a dry speedometer cable sounds like, right? That noise hits you right on your last nerve...
It's just like that, just under the shifter outside the cabin floor.

Oh, forgot to mention - the noise doesn't care if the car is in gear or not. Does the same in neutral as long as vehicle speed is over 40. Shifter position doesn't matter to it either.

Pilot bushing might have broken loose and be spinning around in the crankshaft.

It happened to me once many years ago.

Pilot bushing might have broken loose and be spinning around in the crankshaft.

It happened to me once many years ago.
This is very plausible. The bushing is/was new, but the tranny fought like the dickens to go that last little bit into it when assembling everything.

If that's the case, what do I do? Glue the dang thing in to the back of the crank?

Last edited:
Nope, pretty sure of that. Sound comes from right near under the shifter.
Rear end is all new anyways.
Trust me, that "all new" means jack ! My "all new" rear end came apart 3 times before I replaced everything the 2nd time.... after roughly 800 miles on my "new" rear end I hammered it leaving a car cruise in, let off the throttle and hard a loud whine when I was slowing down. That was the beginning, something happened in the pinion, think a race wasn't seated all the way. Go grab your yoke and see if there's any up and down play, if not than you can rule out gear noise .....

The noise isn't rear end, of that I'm sure. It's coming from a very specific location.

The pilot bushing noise would be evident when the clutch is depressed.......

With the noise being constant above a certain speed I lean towards a bearing......

pull the inspection cover off the bellhousing and look for clutch disc problems. 23 spline clutch discs aren't always well made.

Auto Transport Service
Back