• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I think something's wrong with the Boeing 737 Max 8

Yep. The pilots aren't turning off the anti-stall when there is a problem. Most pilots don't know of the system.

Yep. The pilots aren't turning off the anti-stall when there is a problem. Most pilots don't know of the system.
If that's so, it seems like a rather important (and very basic) item to not know about and it would lead me to believe that it's a major training issue. Hard for me to believe that "Most pilots don't know of the system."

If that's so, it seems like a rather important (and very basic) item to not know about and it would lead me to believe that it's a major training issue. Hard for me to believe that "Most pilots don't know of the system."
That's what was reported on the news this morning.

I've never liked the 737 to begin with. The most spooked I got were on 737s. Never had a problem with any other.

The 737 is an old, old design. It uses the fuselage from the 707.
Notice the problems are all with foreign airlines.
Has to be a training problem. The only real difference is in the avionics.

Wow...that is a HUGE problem for Boeing (now based in Chicago). I just heard that Boeing has another new plane about to be released, but they're delaying it. That's probably due to all the bad press the Max 8 is getting. God, please bless the dead & their families

Sounds accurate. I would think the anti-stall system would turn off after it was no longer in an apparent stall. Sounds like it's not operator friendly. A safety feature that has already caused 2 crashes? Wow!

I read that Boeing said it would be quite costly to train all the pilots in the new system. Well it's gonna cost em alot more now! Some pilots were never even informed of the new system By either the FAA, Boeing, or their Airline employer!

I just heard that Boeing has another new plane about to be released, but they're delaying it. That's probably due to all the bad press the Max 8 is getting. God, please bless the dead & their families

Yeah, it's called the Boeing KC-46 Tanker for the Air Force Have you read some of the horror stories about that? It has a serous FOD problem within the jet.
FOD= Foreign Object Debris or Damage if it has already caused something to get broken or damaged. They're find crap like wrenches and other tools in areas where they can cause serious problems. My question is where is the accountability for the tools that are checked out of the tool crib?

Yeah, it's called the Boeing KC-46 Tanker for the Air Force Have you read some of the horror stories about that? It has a serous FOD problem within the jet.
FOD= Foreign Object Debris or Damage if it has already caused something to get broken or damaged. They're find crap like wrenches and other tools in areas where they can cause serious problems. My question is where is the accountability for the tools that are checked out of the tool crib?
This isn't a problem with the jet. Its a problem with the Boeing line employees.
Iirc its close to union contract time so the union is putting their contract and the union ahead of safety and the company who pays their salary.

I found over the years many people think they work for and are paid by the union. The company has nothing to do with them.

Has to be a training problem. The only real difference is in the avionics.
So a simple switch to turn off the anti stall system would have been all that's required of the pilots to regain control? It's easier to determine what steps to take if the plane catches on fire, ahead of time, rather than deciding what to do when the plane catches on fire in the air, and you are panicking and trying to figure it out!

It is a 50-year old basic design, but the 737 Max series shares little with older 737 aircraft.

And where do you get "the 737 shares the fuselage with the 707" nonsense? That is wrong wrong wrong. Ever seen a 707 and a 737 side-by-side??? Very different aircraft.

The MAX has more fuel efficient engines than the older ones. Seems that technology is getting so far advanced, that they miss the simple stuff. Like make a manual over ride of the anti-stall, automatic nose down feature. Or tell the pilots what's going on. That would help!!!

This isn't a problem with the jet. Its a problem with the Boeing line employees.
Iirc its close to union contract time so the union is putting their contract and the union ahead of safety and the company who pays their salary.

I found over the years many people think they work for and are paid by the union. The company has nothing to do with them.
Well I have to Disagree and say that you most likely do not or aren't all that smart when it comes to FOD and placing the blame entirely towards the Union and its ongoing contract negotiations with Boeing. FOD is a very serious issue. It is caused mainly by the complacent attitudes and the rush rush rush to completion of the aircraft build. They supervisors, tool attendants, line chiefs, etc, are required to run a Tool and FOD check every time a job is completed during the build process. Obviously this was not addressed and subsequently disregarded and that particular area is buttoned up. Hence the FOD or Tools are left to do a significant amount of damage unbeknownst to the Crew and maintenance shops. It is SOP for the Military and should be for the aircraft manufacturer. I was a Maintenance Planner and assigner of Mechanics jobs for Boeing back in the '80's. When I would hand out the job request, there was always a last line for Tool and FOD check before the order was to be completed. Very easy to just sign off on it and kick it to the next level without actually performing the check. In addition all tools had to be accounted for. Period. And during that inspection all excess materials left loose were to be picked out and the aircraft thoroughly gone through. Still items were left in places you wouldn't begin to imagine. As to this issue of the Anti Stall being switched off? That is up to the manufacture and the Clearance Delivery Section which does the initial flying procedures and then adapted to the T.O.'s and placed in the appropriate Crew Checklist as either a Note, Caution, or Warning. Once incorporated, then Pilots and Crew have absolutely no excuse if not followed. And if Boeing presumes it is too costly to "train" that to the Carirer's involved, then my question is, What Price for Safety of Flight can be set? There should be no amount as unnecessary. Foreign Carriers also have a very bad rep when it comes to proficiency and on-going training and maintenance. Hence, very unsafe and suspect airworthiness on those carriers such as the Ethiopian carrier. Just my 2 cents but 10,000 flying hours under my belt and an FAA Flight Dispatcher License, I think I know a lot more about aviation then the standard arm chair types...cr8crshr/Bill :usflag::usflag::usflag:

So you are saying FOD is due to the aircraft and not the people doing their jobs properly?

I stand behind my statement it is the people building the craft and not its design as was stated in another post.

Auto Transport Service
Back